20 March 2024 (Wednesday) - Spring Equinox

As I scoffed brekkie there was a conversation on one of the lest contentious Facebook groups I follow about the House of Lords. It was being suggested that it should be abolished as those in it are not democratically elected. It struck me that all the time that flat-earthers, religious nutcases and evolution deniers (to list but a few of those who shouldn’t) are allowed the vote, the House of Lords acts as a rather useful check on that which is voted in by those who shouldn’t. But what do I know? In any case I resisted saying anything. Those who shouldn’t be allowed to vote are quick to take offence.
 
I put a geocache container together, got the dogs organized, and took them up to the woods. As we drove the pundits on the radio were talking about how the rate of inflation is only three per cent (or thereabouts) and how the government was hoping that this might get them a few votes. Personally I can’t see how. A year or so ago this same government was claiming that runaway inflation was due to market forces, and now they reckon they’ve got some control of that over which they’ve said they haven’t.
As we drove I couldn’t help but notice how quiet the roads were. But the woods were rather busy. We managed to keep away from most of the other groups, but we must have seen a dozen or so other dog walkers.
We walked to the far end of the woods; yesterday I realized there was a tree stump in exactly the right place in which I might put a geocache. The rules are that the things have to be a tenth of a mile apart, and there’s no denying that I have saturated those woods with caches, but yesterday I found somewhere. I thought I’d put out a two-stage puzzle. The geo-feds were happy with what I’d done and we agreed that if I put the thing out early this morning they would set it live at eleven o’clock.
We hid the thing, came home, and as I had my cuppa so my phone beeped. As arranged, the cache was live.
 
I cracked on with painting the fence. There is something satisfying about starting with a tatty-looking panel and ending up with a nicely painted one. The whole fence on not-so-nice-next-door’s side needs replacing, but a lick of paint does make it look better.
After two hours my phone beeped. A fellow hunter of Tupperware had solved the puzzle that you had to figure out to locale the cache we’d hidden this morning. That was good to know – at least all the on-line stuff was working.
 
After two fence panels and two trellises painted I packed up, and set off on a little geocaching mission. If you find three geocaches this week you get a souvenir in honour of the spring equinox, so I went hunting for three geocaches. The first two had been hidden by someone relatively new to the game, and sadly it showed. The co-ordinates of the first one were about twenty yards out; I found it by searching the only obvious place to hide a cache in the area. After all a tiny magnetic geocache named after a road is far more likely to be stuck to the sign bearing the road’s name than it is to be in the middle of the road. And the second one was in a rather unappealing hedge.
The third one was in Hythe and was almost on top of some road works, but I found it.
 
From there I went on to visit the most recent fruit of my loin. Together with “Stormageddon – Bringer of Destruction TMand “Darcie Waa Waa TM we went out for a bit of scoff. In a novel break with tradition we gave McDinner a miss and went to Taco Bell instead. “Stormageddon – Bringer of Destruction TMwas very keen to go there as apparently you break the toilet afterwards, or so he assured me. I’d not been there before; I had no idea what to expect. We all had volcano burritos, fries, bottomless soft drinks and some dessert thingy with a caramel dip for about ten quid less than what just me and “Daddy’s Little Angel TM” had in Maccy D last week.
 
I came home and put washing in to scrub. For some inexplicable reason quite a few of my T-shirts have fence paint on them.
I feel worn out. This being semi-retired lark is hard work…
 
That geocache I hid earlier hasn’t been found yet…

No comments:

Post a Comment