25 March 2024 (Monday) - Fences Painted

I woke feeling full of energy and raring to go… at half past midnight. I then dozed on an off until  five o’clock when I gave up trying to sleep, got up and watched an episode of “Friday Night Dinner”, then had a little look at the Internet in case it had changed overnight. It hadn’t.
 
I set off to work. With Operation Brock in place on the motorway again (for no reason that anyone can fathom) I set the car’s cruise control for fifty miles per hour and drove up the motorway in convoy with all the other traffic in the slow lane. Despite being at the speed limit and moving with the traffic, I had a succession of foreign lorries tail-ending me; some dangerously close despite my being unable to go any faster.
This Operation Brock is dangerous.
 
As I drove the pundits on the radio were talking about how more and more pubs are closing earlier and earlier. It was claimed that in many places it is unusual to find a pub open after eight o'clock in the evening as there's no customers. That's not "not many customers"; that's actually "no customers". On the one hand it would be a shame to lose pubs. On the other they are fast becoming a luxury that we can't afford.
And there was talk about how many of the foreign nurses who've moved to the UK are now moving on to other countries for better pay. Coming to the UK is just a stepping-stone in their long-term plans, or so it was claimed. When you consider an hour of a trained nurse's starting pay in 2000 would have bought eighty-one chocolate frogs whereas now it would only buy forty-three, you can see why they are jacking it in. And why no one has money to squander in pubs.
 
I did a morning’s work, then slipped out early to use up annual leave. I came home and seeing that “er indoors TM had already taken the dogs out, I cracked on in the garden. I got the last of the fence panels painted, then had a go at the wooden cupboard in which I hide the plugs for the pond’s electrics. I started off painting it Harvest Gold (yellow), but it looked dreadful, so I had another go at it with green. Now rather than looking dreadful, it just looks nauseous. I gave up painting as I was beginning to ache. The bench by the pond needs a lick of paint too. I might give that some green, and stick another coat of green on the wooden cupboard, and if they still look grim I’ll go ever them with the dark oak that is on the fences.
Mind you, the pond’s looking clear.
Garden Phase One is complete. Phase Two involves painting up the edges of the lawn…
 
“er indoors TM went off bowling. I sat myself in front of the telly and watched the last two episodes of Three Body Problem”. It was rather good, and has been left open for a sequel. Having read the books I know what happens next (I think); I hope the sequels get made.  

No comments:

Post a Comment