14 March 2024 (Thursday) - Busy, Busy

I managed something of a lie-in this morning, staying in my pit until eight o’clock which was something of a result.
I made brekkie and had my usual look at the Internet. I sent out four birthday wishes to friends having birthdays (the friends not having birthdays can wait their turn) and had a look-see to find out if I’d missed much. I find myself intrigued by the antics of Matt Hayes these days; again his Facebook page was rather active. Twenty years ago he made fishing programs for the telly. He’s coming back by popular demand, but the “popular demand” has a different perspective on Mr Hayes’ fishing programmes to that which Mr Hayes has. They see it as entertainment. Mr Hayes sees it as livelihood and expects to be paid for making more telly programs. I suppose he could make them in his spare time for free and on the cheap, but that’s not what professional celebrities do, is it?
I also got the notification that our Munzee Clan has reached level two, and we are half-way to our monthly target. A result for those who like sticking bar codes on lamp posts.
 
With “er indoors TM at her office today, she set off to work. I put washing into the washing machine and took the dogs up to the woods where we had a good walk… once we’d evaded the chap with the Akitas. That bloke is an idiot. He’s got two dogs that are far stronger than he is, and they drag him all over the place. When he sees us coming he makes a point of being where we are going to walk and shouting that we should give him a wide berth. When we turn and take another path he runs to be in front of us again. Fortunately I saw him first today.
We met a couple of other dog walkers, we posed for photos, we ate horse poo. Quite a good walk really.
 
We came home and had the mud hosed off of our bellies, I did the dogs’ flea treatments, hung out washing, had a cuppa and went into the garden. Bearing in mind that it is getting warmer I thought I might activate the pond’s filter. Take out the old ultra-violet bulb, pop in the new one, turn it all on. Ten minutes maximum.
Getting the filter open took some doing. And when I found the glass thingy which holds the uv bulb it was rather stiff. I gave it some welly and as it came free so it smashed the old uv bulb, leaving the plug bit wedged into the socket. I eventually prised it out, got the new bulb in place, turned it all on, and had a smug smile as I saw the glow of the new bulb from it’s port-hole and watched the water flowing.
And then the water stopped flowing and the glow from the port-hole wasn’t there any more.
And then I saw an O-ring laying on the decorative bridge which hides the pond filter.
I took it all apart again and saw the watertight sleeve in which the uv bulb sits was full of water. I cleaned and dried it all out, put it all back together again this time with the O-ring in place and this time it worked.
I then cracked on with painting fence panels until I couldn’t move. I would have got on faster had I not been fighting Treacle for the kneeling pad for much of the time.
Remembering what we used to do last year I loudly announced that I was going to feed the fish, the dogs charged up the garden to the pond. It is some months since we last did that, but they remembered.
 
As I ached somewhat I settled in front of the telly and watched episodes of “Four in a Bed” in which people started off best of friends but soon got nasty with each other.
“er indoors TM came home and boiled up a rather good bit of dinner which we scoffed watching “Taskmaster: New Zealand”. We’ve also got episodes of “Lego Masters: New Zealandon the Sky-Q box to watch as well. For all that New Zealand is geographically much bigger than the UK, it only has half the population of London. How do they generate so much good TV?
 
This is my third week of semi-retirement and I feel that I’m going to work tomorrow for a rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment