6 May 2023 (Saturday) - The Coronation

Yesterday I bought some honey whist in Tesco. This morning I spent an age trying to find where “er indoors TMhad hidden it. Once I finally found the stuff I stuck some on toast and smiled at the Internet. Quite a few people were posting all sorts of pro-royalist stuff about the coronation… including one chap who until very recently had been a very vocal republican until he met his new royalist girlfriend.
I saw my latest Wherigo project had got the thumbs-up from the geo-Feds; that’s over a hundred geocaches that I’ve now got up in Kings Wood.
The dogs came down and I took them onto the garden where we fed the fish. “Feeding The Fish” has become something of a ritual in which the dogs get quite a bit of the fish food themselves. Perhaps too much for Bailey perhaps as she did seem somewhat “egg-bound” this morning.
As we fed the fish I couldn’t help but admire the pond which is now crystal clear. Yesterday evening the latest “new next door” remarked on how the pond looks good now it has fish in it. Some of those fish have been there over ten years, but with the state of the water recently you couldn’t see them if they were more than a few inches deep.
 
Being Saturday we set off to Dog Club. As we turned into the Repton estate so the dogs started squealing in excitement; they’ve come to love it. We had a good Dog Club today. Morgan and Bailey chased and played with the other dogs. Treacle is slowly becoming more accepting of other dogs, and only had a couple of minor spats at the very beginning of the session.
We put leads on and made a move as the bigger dogs arrived; even though the smaller two would quite happily stay and play with the bigger dogs.
 
We came home, settled the pups and popped out to Bybrook Barn garden centre. On February 1st I mentioned that my cordyline was poggered. Having researched poggered cordylines I found that if you chop off the top then the thing grows a new top and sorts itself out. So several weeks ago I chopped the top off… It hasn’t recovered.
We went to the garden centre to get a new one. We got another bush thingy as well, and whilst we were at it, we got a couple of very small sturgeons for the pond, and a walnut and coffee cake too.
 
Once home again we released the little sturgeons into the pond. They are rather sweet, but you really have to look closely to see them.
We then put the kettle on, had coffee and cake, and watched the coronation. I wanted to watch it as a coronation is for me (probably) a twice in a lifetime event and I wouldn’t want to have missed it. We sat down and were rather captivated with the pomp and ceremonies, but after a while it started to drag. One choral howling was much the same as another to my uneducated ear, and there was far too much “ooooh God, oh you are so big” for my liking.  
At the end of it all I watched the King’s carriage pull in to Buckingham Palace with something of a sense of relief. I expect I’m in the minority again but the whole coronation could have been rather better if it was shorter, snappier, with a lot less religion and far more involvement of the general public.
 
Despite the drizzle I went into the garden and mowed the lawn. Perhaps I shouldn’t have mowed it when wet, but with only one dry day forecast in the next week (and me working on that day) I couldn’t leave it much longer. I then pruned the tree that hangs over the back of the garden. It needed pruning. Every summer the tree drops over-ripe plums that attract wasps. They grow too high to harvest, the birds don’t have them, they smell, and end up swarming with wasps. This year I’m being pro-active. And with the tree pruned I then sawed up the branches so they would go into the green waste bin. It took about a minute to cut down the two problematical branches, and about an hour to cut them into bits small enough for the compost bin.
I really wanted to pot the new cordyline but the drizzle was getting heavier and I was starting to ache. That will keep.
 
And then we had a rather traumatic evening as “Darcie Waa Waa TM came for a sleepover. If only she would stop snogging the dogs…

No comments:

Post a Comment