31 May 2023 (Wednesday) - Another Early Shift

I slept like a log last night which was something of a result. I was woken by my alarm… and that happens oh so rarely.
With no hour spare for an episode of telly I made toast and had a quick look at the Internet. There were a lot of photos from Sparks’ second sell-out gig at the Royal Albert Hall last night. When I heard about the concert last year the tickets had already sold out. I must admit to a bit of a sulk – I would have liked to have gone. But it turns out they only did three or four of (for me) their better songs and concentrated on all the new stuff I’m not keen on. Perhaps I didn’t miss as much as I thought I might have done.
I rolled my eyes as I saw that some half-wit was trying to start an argument on one of the Facebook pages I follow. He was pointing out the inconsistency of atheism. He asked “Why do (most) atheists have no problem in believing that there were once dinosaurs, but mock Christians for believing in God”? He seemed to be serious… they let these people vote and do jury service, you know.
And (as always) squabbles abounded. There were some rather nasty ones (over the most petty things) on the garden ponds pages and the Lego pages.
Talking of ponds… I’ve found a relatively local garden pond club… I say “garden pond”; it’s the South East Koi Club. Based in Orpington it might be a good day out at some point. And talking of clubs reminded me that I’ve heard nothing about the Lego club recently. Apparently they moved into a gaming shop in Folkstone and had a meet whilst I was at the wedding a couple of weeks ago. It’s amazing what you miss when you aren’t paying attention.
 
I set off to work listening to the drivel spewed by the pundits on the radio. They were interviewing the Labour spokesman on international trade about some trade deal between the UK and Australia which comes into effect today. Apparently pretty much everyone with an opinion to offer seemed to think this deal was something of a shambles; being seen as a sad shadow of what the UK used to have back in the day, and a financial masterstroke for the Aussies who will be laughing all the way to the bank.
The Labour spokesman on international trade was asked his opinion. He didn't give it. Either on the Australian deal or any other subject. He was speaking on the radio for a good five minutes but never actually said anything. A nice trick if you can do it.
There was also loads of talk about the rise of artificial intelligence and how this might well lead to the extinction of humanity. Either through the social chaos that the AI might inadvertently generate, or through the machines actually rising up against their human oppressors.
To my mind there was a lot of Luddite attitude being expressed. Why is everyone automatically terrified by that which they don't understand?
 
I got to work and did that which I couldn't avoid. As I worked I had a phone call; the insurance on Dad's house is now sorted for another year. I'm hoping that a year's worth is overkill and that in a few months I can get a refund on the rest of the year, but that is a worry for another day.
And a colleague told me she's had an estimate for getting a mega-tattoo on her back. What she has in mind would need to be done in three sessions and will set her back a thousand pounds. Tattoos never were cheap, but (like everything these days) the prices are now nothing short of daft. I think the most I ever spent on a tattoo was a hundred and fifty quid... and that was on something which was over six hours work when tattoo artists were charging sixty quid an hour. I got a bargain then...
 
With work worked I took the dogs to the woods. I would say that we had a good walk… We had no “episodes” but as we walked I had a very eerie sense of being watched. As we came to the end of the walk there was a huge rustling and crashing in the trees about ten yards from me. I thought the dogs were particularly noisy, and then I saw them running to me from the opposite direction as I heard whatever it was in the woods heading away. Deer? Boar? Another dog? People doing the dirty deed? I wonder what that noise was… and if it was in any way connected to my feeling watched.
As we walked I was rather pleased at the dogs not getting grubby. At the end of our walk as the dogs jumped into the boot of the car I saw Treacle was filthy. Somehow or other she’d found a swamp when I wasn’t looking. She went straight in the bath when we got home.
 
We scoffed a rather good dinner as we watched an episode of “Taskmaster”. I think I must be getting old… we had salad for scran – and I liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment