14 May 2023 (Sunday) - Working, Drinking

 

I was woken at silly o'clock. Morgan was having a dream and his tail was wagging so much it whacked me awake. Dogs really do dream.
I got up and watched an episode of "Shameless" featuring him out of "Hornblower" who in this episode was running round in the nip. I wish he hadn't been.
 
Once I'd remembered where I'd parked my car I set off to work. Being a Sunday the talk was of vaguely religious stuff. It kicked off with the head honcho of the National Secular Society who had upset quite a few people when the NSS had said that the coronation had been "unnecessary and expensive religious ritual which is incompatible with democracy and equality between citizens of different religions and beliefs".
Interestingly there were quite a few leading lights of the Church of England on the radio this morning in full agreement with her. The general feeling was that a clearly archaic and outdated religious service had done as little favours to the church as it had to the monarchy. Apparently in light of what is seen by the establishment as "a legal irrelevance" and a "silly and superstitious Church of England ritual", there's talk of planning Prince (for now) William's coronation as something that won't be quite so tedious.
 
There was also talk about the ex-Archbishop of York who allegedly failed to act on disclosures that a Church of England vicar repeatedly raped a teenage boy in the 1980s. The ex-Archbish claimed the author of the report bringing this to light (an experienced safeguarding investigator) had a “fundamental misunderstanding” of the responsibilities of bishops and archbishops. Presumably bishops and archbishops are only supposed to check  that vicars are spouting gibberish and twaddle, and *don't* have to check that they aren't porking choirboys? One lives and learns.
 
I got to work, had a fry-up, and then got on with the day's round. One of my colleagues was gloating. Having drawn Sweden in the work's Eurovision sweepstake she was fifty quid up on the deal (as opposed to my being two quid down) and was talking about getting everyone pizza on Monday. I suggested bringing in a bag of doughnuts and pocketing the profit.
 
With work done I came home, and we spent the afternoon in the garden drinking lager (of various colours) in the sunshine. Having put so much time and effort into the garden I put so much effort into actually enjoying it…

No comments:

Post a Comment