23 May 2023 (Tuesday) - An Afternoon Off

 

I slept through till four o'clock this morning, which was something of a result compared to many days. I lay wide awake for an hour listening to “er indoors TM and the dogs snoring before giving up trying to sleep and getting up.
I still felt fragile, but was rather more chipper this morning than I had been yesterday or the day before. Back in the day (specifically 7 October 2006) allegedly amongst the many things I drank at a wedding included twenty-one pints of London Pride, and the next day I was well enough to build a fence and move (literally) one ton of soil.
Getting old sucks.
 
I watched another episode of "Shameless" then quickly checked the Internet. Google said the traffic on the M20 was moving better than it had been yesterday so that was something of a result. Google also said that filming had started yesterday on this year's season of "Celebrity Hunted", and that celebrities and camera crews had been spotted in Norfolk.
I set off to work in the desperate hope of being accosted by a rather fraught looking dream team of Anthea Turner and the mother out of "Bebefinn" who (in a perfect world) would have been desperate for my assistance… The exact identities of the celebrities taking part haven’t been reveled yet, but I shall be keeping a hopeful eye out for the next fortnight.
 
As I drove up the motorway the pundits on the radio were talking about the amount of lead and nickel being breathed in by children vaping all sorts of unregulated muck in their vapes. It's no secret that there's pretty much no control over the content of vapes; people have been concocting their own mixtures for as long as e-fags have been about. Some vacuous windbag or other was trying to say that children aren't allowed to vape until they are eighteen years old so it shouldn't be an issue... where do they get these co-called "experts" from? Back in the late 70s I was probably the only one in my secondary school class who didn’t smoke ten a day. And nothing has changed in the meantime.
And there was an attempt to make scandal over the Home Secretary who was done for speeding last summer. I must admit I'm not really sure what the scandal is. People get done for speeding all the time. Perhaps being Home Secretary she should have driven a bit slower and set an example? Allegedly she asked for a private speed awareness course? What's wrong with asking... provided the officials said "no!" Which they did.
To be honest after having been seriously naughty in the dying days of Liz Truss's government, got the heave-ho, and then being re-instated less than a week later I can't help but think she'll ride this one out.
 
I got to work far quicker than I did yesterday and did what I had to. I didn’t actually do very much. The opportunity to take the afternoon off came up, so I came home, loaded the dogs into the car and took them up to the woods… in the desperate hope of being accosted by a rather fraught looking team of Anthea Turner and the mother out of "Bebefinn" who would be desperate for my assistance…
Other than not meeting any fugitive celebrities we had a good walk. All dogs behaved themselves. It was perhaps a tad warm, but we followed some of the less walked paths through the trees which were in the shade.
 
We came home and watched a couple of episodes of “Shameless” until “er indoors TM boiled up a very good bit of dinner which we scoffed whilst watching the “Plebs” movie. Did you know there was a “Plebs” movie made last year? I didn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment