8 August 2021 (Sunday) - It Rained

I didn’t get to bed until after midnight last night having failed (three times) to upload yesterday’s photos. I gave up and went to bed, and on finding myself wide awake at five o’clock I tried again to no avail. I left them uploading, went back to bed and came back an hour later to absolute failure. I tried three different browsers and both the holiday cottage wi-fi and my own mobile data. After a couple of hours I got the photos up by posting them up one at a time. A couple of days ago I did wonder on here as to what the internet connection would be like.

 

As I posted the last few photos so Karl made me a cuppa, and I then helped him cook a full English brekkie. I say “helped”; “sat and watched him do all the work” would have been a more accurate description. But it was a very good brekkie.

And with brekkie scoffed we had a decision to make. Were we going to go for a walk? The weather forecast was against us, but the weather forecast was bad yesterday and we didn’t get that wet at all. So we set off. We’d found a geocache series which was only a short walk from our cottage. A mile or so there, two miles round the series of geocaches and a mile or so back.

What could possibly go wrong?

 

Things went amiss fairly soon. The mile and a half to the first geocache was a mile and a half as the crow flies. The crow doesn’t fly along two point six miles of footpath. “A mile and a half my arse” to quote Jess. And as we walked so the rain got heavier and heavier. We sheltered under a tree when we were just over a mile into our walk and pondered. Should we continue or should we give up? The consensus was that we were already wet; how much wetter could we get?

In retrospect that’s not a question that I would ask again for fear of finding out. But despite being wet through we had a good walk. We saw a red kite flying past, the dogs got to chase rabbits and squirrels, there weren’t too many hills.

 

Geocache-wise it was not a bad walk. To be honest we would have enjoyed it better had the weather not been against up, but we made the most of it. Most of the caches were there (we couldn’t find one of them), and with good co-ordinates. There were some rather clever hides . My only criticism is that there were fourteen caches where I would have put (at least) twenty-five. But the series was ten years old, and that’s how they did things back in the day.

 

It started to dry out as we started the mile and a half (my arse!) walk back to the cottage, but it started raining again just as we got within sight of base.

Once home Charlotte helped me and “er indoors TM” wash the much off of the dogs. First of all with the garden hose to wash off the worst of the mud, dirt and grit, and then in the shower to warm up. And then we got ourselves sorted. I myself skipped the garden hose bit and just went straight to the shower.

 

Doing a reprise of my sterling efforts of the morning I sat and watched others make a very good bit of dinner which we all enjoyed; we deserved it after the walk.

We then got out the Blokus and the profiteroles, and then spent half an hour gazing at the beautiful clear sky and/or barking at the owls according to your personal preference.

More port, more cheese… and to bed at half past midnight. For all that we’d got wet earlier, today was a good day. You can see photos of it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment