13 August 2021 (Friday) - Home Again

I’d set my alarm for seven o’clock this morning. Having had several late starts this week I thought it best to take no chances. Usually I don’t sleep when I have an alarm set, but today I was woken by the sound of my alarm saying “get your arse out of its pit – it’s seven o’clock”. (It actually does say that !)

We had a rather frantic couple of hours. Packing, loading the cars, constantly clearing dog dung (both were pooping like things possessed) and finding all the windfall apples Pogo had hidden round the house all took time. We finally drove off just as the cleaner arrived to tidy up after us. Though (to be honest) I don’t think she had much to tidy.

 

Pausing only briefly to get petrol we were soon heading south on the two-hundred miles journey home. As we drove we all struggled to stay awake. “er indoors TM” said she was fine (I hope she was – she was driving!) but me and the dogs could hardly keep our eyes open, and Charlotte was particularly quiet.

 

Faced with a long journey home we’d looked at the geo-map and planned a short walk about half-way home, and at about mid-day we parked up at a church near Sheering in North Essex from where we had a short (two and a half miles) walk. Our route had been laid out for us by a series of geocaches, and despite crossing the M11 motorway twice it was a rather good walk. No stiles to clamber over, only two horses on the way (and they were friendly). There was an overgrown footpath on the way, but you can’t have everything (!) If I could find a similar short route I’d put out a series of geocaches like that.

Geocache-wise it was a good route. Relatively large boxes to find, all in good order, and with a simple puzzle to solve for the final cache of the route. I’d recommend anyone new to the hobby to try this one… if it wasn’t a hundred miles away.

 

I took a few photos of our walk, and once back at the cars we said our goodbyes. With the last walk done the holiday was officially over. Despite concerns about holiday traffic we made good time home; I Munzee-ed like a thing possessed as we went. Once home It didn’t take long to unload the car. Unpacking properly will take some time though.

I got twenty assorted T-shirts washing whilst I uploaded the last two day’s photos and blog entries. A week ago I wrote “I intend to broadcast from Lincolnshire during the next week but I don’t know if the internet stretches quite that far”. The internet reaches into Lincolnshire easily enough, but reaching out had been problematical. And with two days worth of diary and photos posted on-line I hung out the T-shirts to dry and herded my socks and undercrackers into the washing machine.

 

“er indoors TM” boiled up a very good bit of dinner which we scoffed whilst watching an episode of “Lego Masters: Australia” in which the contestants made some wonderful space-related Lego models only to see which one could be destroyed the most spectacularly. It has given me some ideas…

The dogs have been asleep since the moment they came home – I think I shall have an early night too…

No comments:

Post a Comment