27 August 2021 (Friday) - Rostered Day Off

I rolled my eyes when I peered into Facebook this morning. One of the work-related Facebook pages now has a “mission statement”. Some people really do lap up this meaningless management-talk claptrap. But whoever came up with this utterly trivially pathetic little gem had fallen at the first hurdle. Their mission statement hadn’t included their target audience and as those who love this sort of drivel will know, stating your target audience is the first part of any mission statement (apparently).

Mind you they could probably benefit from deciding who their target audience is. The group started off with a load of people who work in hospital laboratories sharing experiences but nowadays seems to be filled with either anti-vax conspiracy theories or students wanting someone to do their science homework for them.

I then spent a little while staring at the geo-map. I’ve got plans for another series of Wherigo caches… if only I could find a decent location for them.

 

I went down the road; I had appointments at the dentist’s. I arrived to see so many signs exhorting the public to wear face coverings and found three receptionists all wearing face masks as neck warmers. I signed in and was soon called in by the dental hygienist. There seems to be a rapid turn-over of dental hygienists as I never see the same one twice. The last one was rather rude and offhand and patronising and left me tasting blood all day. This one was polite and friendly and seemed to be rather impressed with the state of my gob. She did her bit and I went back to the waiting room to wait to see the dentist. Whilst I’d been in with the hygienist the waiting room had been annexed by a group that I can only describe as “The Family From Hell”. Mother was shrieking swear words into  her phone whilst the brats swarmed. Periodically Mother would stop swearing into her phone and would swear at the brats. I was glad when the dentist called me in. I was in with him for less than a minute before he sent me on my way with instructions to come back next February.

 

I came home to collect the dogs, and leaving “er indoors TM” working I took the dogs out. As we drove we found ourselves behind a bus. There was a filler cap sticking out of the bus labelled “coolant” from which fluid was gushing and steam was pouring. I was rather glad when the bus turned off; I didn’t want to be stuck behind it when the imminent breakdown happened.

We drove up to Challock; I’d had reports that there were issues with the series of Wherigo geocaches I’d hidden up there a while ago. We walked the entire series – it was only two miles and made for a good dog walk. There were a couple of caches missing; I replaced both.

As we came to a road I put the dogs back on to their leads, but mistakenly attached Pogo’s lead to his ID tag rather than his collar, and when he pulled the thing broke and was lost in the undergrowth (as it so often does). As I searched for it, one of the locals came busying up and asked what I was doing. She seemed rather taken aback that I had a genuine reason to be walking up and down along the footpath outside her house, and we got talking. I was rather surprised when she asked if I was a breeder. Was she trying it on? Did she “want a portion”? My immediate thought was “not since the late 1980s” but then I realised she was talking about the dogs.

Toward the end of our walk we came past a little farm shop. The place had signs up about an off licence and selling local produce. Securing the dogs outside (where I could see them) I went in and had a look. I had high hopes of getting a couple of bottles of beer from a local brewery. They did have beer from a local brewery… Faversham is local, but you can get bottles of Shepherd Neame beer in the local supermarkets for half their price.

I bought a cake to bring home, and we all came home.

 

Leaving the dogs with “er indoors TM” I popped round to the pet shop where I got a new tag for Pogo’s collar. I had hoped to get a nice blue one but I had to have what they had. The chap on the till apologised for the poor selection; yet another casualty of the shortage of drivers.

Aldi’s beer selection wasn’t what it might have been either.

 

I spent a little while updating the Wherigo cartridge after this morning’s walk, solved a geo-puzzle, then cracked on with the ironing whilst watching more episodes of “Four In A Bed” in which the losers obviously gave away the contest. The idea of the program is that owners of Bed and Breakfast establishments visit each other’s places and pay what they think the place is worth. Bearing in mind that everyone is looking to find fault, overpaying the opposition is just doing yourself down.

 

“er indoors TM” boiled up fish and chips which we scoffed whilst watching an episode of “Joe Lycett’s Got Your Back” in which Joe Lycett is trying to take over where Esther Rantzen left off.

He’s having a fair stab at it…

 

For a day off I’ve been rather busy…

No comments:

Post a Comment