23 August 2021 (Monday) - Making Plans

I was out like a light when “er indoors TM” and Pogo had a fight at twenty past four this morning and didn’t really get back to sleep after that. After an hour I gave up trying to sleep, got up and had toast as I watched another episode of “Chewing Gum”. As that finished and as I was about to turn off the Sky-Q box I caught the end of some utter drivel on the Sky History channel in which some scary-looking chap was expounding the theory that because he personally couldn’t have built the Great Pyramid of Giza on his own, it must have been built by aliens. And because the Great Pyramid of Giza had been built by aliens, then so must pretty much every other structure in history that was built before last Tuesday. Apparently (so he claimed) the Great Pyramid of Giza wasn’t a tomb at all; apparently it was a power plant, though what power it generated and how it generated it was never explained.

I must admit I would have found the chap expounding this theory a tad more plausible had he ever been given a haircut, and had he not looked like a looney.

 

I tuned in to Facebook and sent out a couple of birthday wishes; there were a few photos of a wedding on Facebook this morning. An ex-cub scout of mine (and life-long friend of “My Boy TM) had got married at the weekend. Many of the generation of the fruits of my loin are getting married right now... a few years after they all had their children. More and more I hear from the younger generation that having children is no big deal, but getting married is. Are they right? When you consider the cost of a wedding (and divorce rates) I suppose they have a point. Mind you according to Facebook he did get seven toasters as wedding pressies... what is the trade-in value of a second-hand toaster?
I checked my emails (dull), activated the dishwasher and set off to work.
 

 

As I drove the pundits on the radio were talking about the evacuation of allied forces from Afghanistan. Bearing in mind that there doesn't look to be enough time to get everyone out before the last Americans have gone, Boris Johnson is (supposedly) going to beg President Biden to delay the American withdrawal.

The sensible money seems to think that President Biden won't be interested, and there are grave concerns in government circles  that the so-called "special relationship" between the UK and the US will be exposed as little more than wishful thinking on the part of a nostalgic UK which is (quite frankly) living in cloud-cuckoo land.

Other than wild speculation about COVID-19 there wasn't much else on the news this morning. It never fails to amaze me how the morning news show can make so much out of so little.

 

I got to work, the night shift went home and I leapt into action. I say "leapt"... "lurked about doing that which I couldn't really avoid" would be a more accurate description.

I considered taking the dogs to the woods this evening, but as I came home after the early shift the roads were rather busy, and having negotiated my way through the traffic once, I didn’t fancy doing it again. So we went up to the co-op field again where we played “ball”. Playing “ball” involves Pogo playing “fetch” nicely with one ball whilst Treacle jealously guards the other.

 

We came home, and “er indoors TM” took the dogs out again. I stayed home and watched the video of a friend’s funeral. It was rather good and it made me think. It’s no good being squeamish; I’ve lost four very dear people so far this year. Plans don’t make themselves, you know.

Whilst I’m not going to write the speeches for my own funeral (though I could leave a message!), I’m making a shortlist of what music I want played. Everyone will walk out at the end (sobbing pathetically) to the version of “Mr Blue Sky” which was my fiftieth birthday pressie. But I’m still undecided as to what else to put on. I’ve got some ideas, but what to start with? Will we have a musical interlude half-way through?

I’d really better start making some firm ideas or I’ll just have it decided for me…

For what it’s worth I’ve already written my last ever blog entry which will be published after I croak…

1 comment: