22 August 2021 (Sunday) - It Didn't Rain

I was woken by the rattling of the torrential rain against the bedroom window at five o’clock this morning. Was this in for the day? Had we been right to cancel plans for a walk in the countryside today? After half an hour or so the rain subsided and I dozed off, waking again at half past nine.

I made toast and peered into the Internet. There wasn’t much going on really, which was probably for the best. There was a minor squabble on one of the Facebook groups that I follow in which someone claiming to be called “Chosen Betty” was trying to pick a fight with the Archbishop of York (somehow seeing him as personally responsible for some disaster or other) but seeing how the Archbishop wasn’t a member of that Facebook group, “Chosen Betty” was having something of a one-sided argument.

I had an email from the Credit Karma people. Apparently my credit rating has gone down because I’m not using my credit card enough. They told me that the outstanding balance on my credit card is forty-nine pounds and I should use the card more. Forty-nine pounds? I spent more than that using my card the last time I got petrol. They’ve clearly got something wrong – I wonder how this is affecting people who rely on this sort of thing?

 

As the weather outside went from black skies to glorious sunshine and back again (seemingly on a continuous loop) “er indoors TM” dished up coffee and Belgian buns and I struggled with a geo-puzzle. You can see it by clicking here. (Please do click there!) There are seven odd pictures which I thought were outlines of seas. Once you’ve identified which sea they were (*if* they were actually seas) you then had to do something mysterious (several ideas sprang to mind) to convert each to a number. And what you did with each number was then anyone’s guess.

Having identified (I thought) over half the seas I co-opted “the brains of the outfit” to see if she could identify the rest – after all she is a dab hand at geography. Not only did she identify them all, but she also got her mum to work out how you turned them into numbers.

After a little co-operative effort we had the final location of where the cache was. I’d been trying to solve this one for a while. It looked as though I could stop off to walk out to this one to break up the journey to go visit my Dad when we would next be visiting. And with no rain forecast for two hours we thought that next visit might be right then.

 

“er indoors TM” and I walked the dogs to my car, and we drove down to Rye. The plan was a little walk out to find this cache; a little walk back, and on to visit parents…

It was a good plan.

 

We parked up and walked out to where this puzzle geocache was. It was a surprisingly long way from where we’d parked the car, but a good walk for everyone is always a good thing. Eventually we found this cache; it took some finding. I then looked at the map and realised that rather than walking straight back the way we came, if we continued we could take a loop back finding a few more geocaches as we went.

That too was a good plan. Or it would have been if not for the swamp. Admittedly we found those extra geocaches, but Treacle found a swamp, and Pogo joined her in it for a bit of a wallow.

Realising that visiting parents with dogs in that state was a no-no we hurriedly changed our plans. Rather than driving on to Hastings we walked into Rye and did the two series of Adventure Lab caches that are there. One set took us round the town from the Landgate (almost) to where we’d parked and then up to the church, and the other took us on a little adventure round the church. As we walked round the church we met another couple of people also playing the Adventure Lab game. We “talked Tupperware” for a while (as you do) before going on to do the Church Micro. Ave you ever “done” a church micro? You should!

 

As we walked back to the car we commented on how good the dogs had been. We’d met no end of other dogs today, and our two had ignored all of the other dogs. No “episodes” at all. That was to be encouraged.

As we drove home so the rain started… and then stopped again.

Flushed with success at solving that puzzle this morning (and one or two in the week) I tried and failed to solve a couple more fiendishly difficult ones.

 

“er indoors TM” boiled up a particularly good bit of dinner which we washed down with a half-way decent bottle of plonk whilst watching “The Cockfields” on catch-up TV.

We had a rather good day today; making the most of it in spite of the forecast rain which never came.

No comments:

Post a Comment