5 August 2021 (Thursday) - Packing

I woke (and had a tiddle) at half past three and went back to bed. The plan was to wake after a couple of hours, hoof “er indoors TM” out of bed, and we would both take the dogs for a walk round the woods. I woke just before eight o’clock; far too late for “er indoors TM” to get a walk in before she had to start work.

 

I made toast and peered into the Internet. It was much the same as it ever is. There weren’t *that* many squabbles kicking off today, but there were quite a few “what do you think will happen” posts on the “Upstairs Downstairs” Facebook page. It would seem that the show is undergoing something of a resurgence and a lot of its new fans don’t seem to realise the programme is getting on for fifty years old.

There were some rather amazing posts on the Facebook “Tomorrow People” page that I follow. “Amazing” in that the chap who run the page is constantly complaining. Every day he posts up albums of hundreds of photos of entire episodes of the show, and all sorts of homo-erotic photos of the stars of the show. And every so often Facebook restrict his account because he’s not supposed to do that. So he has a little whinge, and then (once the restriction is removed) he carries on anyway.

And my piss boiled when I checked the weather forecast. The weather forecast for today (from the BBC) was for light rain. However that’s for all of today. When you went into the hour-by-hour breakdown, there was less than a ten per cent chance of rain right up until late afternoon, and no rain on the forecast until six o’clock this evening.

It must be wonderful being a weather forecaster – you just spout any old bollox and the cash keeps on rolling in because everyone knows you can’t do it anyway.

 

I got the leads on to the dogs and took them on a little walk. We went up to the corner shop to post a parcel for “er indoors TM” (they send parcels on from there). As I did the parcel thing so the dogs sat and waited outside. There was a minor episode when the woman and small child who had been in front of me in the queue went to leave the shop. The child went from quiet and mild disinterest to full-on hysteria (in the blink of an eye) because he was terrified of dogs. I (perhaps just a tad sarcastically) asked if it was those two dogs of mine sitting quietly tied to a fence several yards away that were bothering him. In the subsequent commotion the mother managed to slam her child’s head in the shop door. Meanwhile the dogs sat as good as gold and didn’t bother anyone. Or (to be honest) didn’t bother anyone until I came out and untied them from the fence when they tried to pick a fight with a passing bus.

 

We walked up to the park and came home through the co-op field. As we walked we met other dogs. We ignored some; when we growled at others I did the whistle training thing to get my two to come to me and sit. The idea was that I would have my dogs’ attention as I brandished treats, and the other dogs would walk on by. A good plan in theory; in practice it never works. The other dog owners always bring their dogs up for a treat too and it all kicks off.

We came home, and I popped round to Godinton. As we’d walked earlier I’d been scanning Munzees and  was very nearly at a Munzee milestone. I only needed a few more scans to open two qrates, and ten minutes spent scanning bar codes stuck to lamp posts did the trick. Rewarded with two Qubimals and two more golden qrates (bad spelling is a feature of Munzee) I went on to Matalan for one or two odds and ends for next week before coming home to mow the lawn.

 

“er indoors TM” made lunch, and asked if I’d like some cole slaw. It was left over from last weekend and apparently “tasted fizzy”. I declined her kind offer of instant dire rear. Instead I packed my suitcase. As I packed I found six pairs of brand-new trousers in the cupboard. That’s “brand-new-still-got-the-labels-on” brand-new trousers. I really must stop buying more trousers until I’ve worn my way through these ones. And with suitcase packed I fell asleep on the sofa for an hour or so as the washing machine washed dog blankets. Dog blankets are very smelly things (as are dogs)

 

We had a spot of dinner, and just as “er indoors TM” started her packing I had a sudden panic. Having packed *all* my undercrackers for our holiday tomorrow (I take no chances!), I realised that I’d got none in the drawer to wear in the morning. As I type this the washing machine is frantically trying to rehabilitate the set I had on today.

Let’s wish it well. 

And as “My Boy TM” takes command of the house I’ll just say that I intend to broadcast from Lincolnshire during the next week but I don’t know if the internet stretches quite that far. If it does, I will see you all tomorrow… if it doesn’t I’ll be back in a week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment