17 August 2021 (Tuesday) - Late Shift

Another restless night: I’m wondering if maybe a new mattress might be in order. We got our current one on Saturday 30 August 2014 when a suspicious-looking chap sidled up to me in a charity shop and said “Psst – wanna buy a mattress?” and we got a decent mattress out of the back of a lorry for a tenth of the going rate. But seven years of supporting my carcass have probably done for it. If any of my loyal readers know where I can get another hooky mattress, I’m all ears.

I made toast and had a look at the Internet. It was still there. I had a message from China. A little while ago I bought a rather sexy shirt from Amazon from a seller in China. Labelled “XXL”, this thing would have been tight on one of my dogs. After a few messages to and fro it would seem that people in China are nowhere near my size, and “XXL” over there is “incredibly thin” over here. I’ve been offered a refund; it’s just a shame it has taken so long to sort this out.

There was an interesting row kicking off on Facebook; a friend was having great fun at the expense of an ex-colleague of his. Like so many Brits, this friend of his had planned to retire to Spain. However having loudly campaigned in favour of Brexit, this chap has found that now that the UK is not a member of the EU his plans are thwarted and he may possibly even have to sell his villa in Spain (at considerable financial loss) as emigrating isn’t the foregone conclusion it once was. A turkey who voted for Christmas? Not my circus, not my monkeys.

 

I popped the leads onto the dogs and we drove down to Orlestone Woods where we had a little walk. As we went round we met a new dog walker; a rather posh woman with a Labrador. Treacle hid behind me, obviously frightened of the Labrador. The posh woman sneered at her; calling her a coward and loudly explaining how her dog wouldn’t hurt a fly. The silly woman stomped past us in a most arrogant way, then stopped dead when she saw Pogo following ten yards behind us. “Oh my!” she exclaimed, then cowered in terror behind her dog as Pogo sauntered past.

I didn’t point at her and laugh… I didn’t need to.

 

We came home where I popped to the corner shop for a sandwich for later and a Danish pastry for coffee time. As the dogs slept “er indoors TM” and I had coffee time. I wrote up a little CPD, then left home a little earlier than I might have done so as to test out my latest geo-project. It didn't take *that* long to take the circuitous route out to the back of beyond, and testing went far better than it did yesterday. Having the right version of the geo-project to test made a world of difference.

I then carried on to work where I had a good late shift... I was going to say as good a shift as anyone can have on the late shift, but I had a far better late shift today than some I used to have in "a previous life" (shall we say). It makes a world of difference knowing that the boss isn't going to spend time in the morning going over every single thing I did the night before actively looking for the most trivial of mistakes to blow out of all proportion.

 

However it was rather depressing when the night shift arrived. The longest day was two months ago; it is now dark when the late shift finishes. With some utter tripe about the Victoria and Albert museum on the radio I drove home singing along to one of my "Ivor Biggun" CDs.

Mind you it was something of a pain driving past the front door and then spending fifteen minutes driving round the local area desperately looking for somewhere to park the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment