2 August 2021 (Monday) - A Birthday

I got up early this morning. Having “er indoors TM” working from home has a lot of advantages, but wrapping her birthday pressies is tricky when she’s never out of the way. I got them done as she snored at half past five this morning. As I wrapped I scoffed toast and watched the first episode of the second season of “Chewing Gum” (which was rather lame)

As I peered into Facebook this morning I was bombarded with begging messages. Christian Aid, Save The Children, UNICEF… all of them publishing photos of starving children. And less than a minute on Google shows how much the people working for these companies earn… far more than I do.  

My antivirus then asked if I’d like to know what it had done over the last month. It claimed to have blocked two thousand three hundred risky connections and had protected thirty-two thousand files. Had it? I have no idea.

 

Taking care to let sleeping dogs lie (and sleeping birthday girls) I set off to work. Since I'd last driven up the motorway the (frankly stupid) "Operation Brock" barriers had been removed, which was a major result.

As I drove I listened to the radio as I do. And (quite honestly) they didn't say anything at all of note really. The Prime Minister's wife is pregnant. Bearing in mind he is that same age as I am, I wonder if he's thought this through. I certainly wouldn't be wanting another child at this point in my life - I would be hoping to retire just as the child would be getting expensive. But I suppose that for some, money really is no object.

There was also talk of a second Scottish independence referendum, even though the last one did seem to be rather decisive. I suppose that today's United Kingdom is in a very different position to the one that they voted to stay in.

 

As I drove up the motorway so one of those  "Traffic Officer" cars shot past me, turned on its "Do Not Pass" light in the back window and all its flashing lights, and slowed to a crawl, eventually stopping all the motorway traffic. We all sat there stopped for less than a minute then the "Traffic Officer" turned all his lights off and drove off. As did everyone else.

I wonder what that was all about?

 

I got to work and did what I had to. There was a minor hiccup at tea break when I spotted a tear in my new trousers. The material was wearing through by the thigh pocket. I put these trousers on for the first time on 21 June. That’s six weeks of wear out of them. I would have been disappointed with six months. When I was a lad stuff made by the Lee Cooper corporation was worth having.

I’ve ordered another pair (from a different company) which should arrive later in the week.

 

With work worked I came home (singing along to the third Ivor Biggun album) and, once home, I ran the dogs round the co-op field. I took a couple of tennis balls. Pogo played “fetch” very nicely; Treacle carried a ball and would not let it go. As we came round the co-op field we saw OrangeHead in the distance with a whole new posse, and one of her old posse on his own making a point of ignoring them.

 

With the dogs fed and settled we drove round to the abode of the first fruit of my loin. Cheryl had made a rather good bit of birthday tea for “er indoors TM” and Lacey had made a very good birthday cake. I scoffed far too much…

No comments:

Post a Comment