31 August 2022 (Wednesday) - No More Lateral Flowing

I had another restless night. I'm getting a bit fed up with them. I doze off during the daytime, and lie wide awake at night. But as Oliver Hardy once remarked, "twas ever thus".
I gave up trying to sleep, and it was still dark when I took the puppies out for their morning tiddle. And once tiddled they went upstairs to spend the rest of the night with “er indoors TM. They are funny; they love being on the bed, but are scared of Treacle grumbling at them when they go up. I have go with them and keep Treacle quiet whilst I lift them onto the bed.
 
I made toast and watched the second part of the second episode of "House of Dragons" which was quite good, and then set off for work. I spent a moment or so looking at the (epic) scratch on the side of my car. How much will that cost to put right? I'd posted a photo of the damage on Facebook last night and several people had commented about having a dash-cam. But what's the point? Perhaps the insurance people might do something with dash-cam footage, but I'm convinced the police won't. “Stormageddon – Bringer of Destruction TM  's dad was once knocked off of his moped and run over by a woman who blatantly drove through a red light. The entire episode was filmed on one of these dash-cams. It plainly showed he was in the right and she was in the wrong. But Folkestone police refused to prosecute.
 
As I drove to work the pundits on the radio were talking about how Germany (and the rest of Europe) are facing problems as the Russians have turned off the Nordstream gas pipeline. Ostensibly claiming that this is due to "maintenance issues",  the Kremlin has made no secret that the gas is off because the West is siding against them in their ongoing Ukrainian debacle. It just amazes me that everyone is pretending to be surprised about this.
And there was a lot of talk about "affordable housing" in Cornwall. House prices are going through the roof as people sell their houses to the rich who want a holiday home. In the village of Megavissey the local council has tried to stop the sale of houses to non-locals, insisting that people buying a second home should pay more than the locals... but they are having trouble enforcing any such rules. If I was selling a house I'd sell it to the person who would pay me the most for it.
I blame Margaret Thatcher who (forty years ago) turned a house from something you live in into a financial investment.
 
Work was work; I had an MGUS sort of day (as one does from time to time).  But today we had an announcement. For the last couple of years I've been doing a lateral flow test every four days. It's been a pain in the arse (nose!) but the government has announced that I don't have to do them any more. I'm pleased about that. Mind you having only ever missed one test in all that time (when I was on holiday in Gran Canaria) I've only got a reporting rate of eighty-nine per cent. How does that work?
 
With work done I took the dogs to the woods. As we walked we met a young family with a small French bulldog (on a lead). The children told me that they had thought that their dog was the smallest dog in the world, and there I was with two smaller dogs… and they weren’t even on leads. They asked their mother why my two weren’t on leads. Mother said that the gentleman (me?) had trained the puppies very well.
One lives and learns.

No comments:

Post a Comment