30 August 2022 (Tuesday) - Early Shift, Eastbourne

I had planned to start off today by saying “it’s not been a bad Bank Holiday” as it was my first Bank Holiday not working since the beginning of May 2021 and my second not working Bank Holiday since August 2019. But despite some rather productive garden work and impressing myself with my woodworking skills it could have been a lot better. If only Dad had been well enough to get to the bingo afternoon; he’d been looking forward to it for so long.
Talking of which I phoned the hospital to ask after him. No news is good news I suppose; there had been no change overnight. I made my appointment to visit (I suppose it makes sense) and watched half of yesterday’s episode of “House of the Dragon” which so far seems entertaining enough. I suspect like “Game of Thrones” (the show on which it is based) it will benefit from being watched a few more times.
 
I set the dishwasher going. That's quite a thing these days. Back in the old kitchen we had a smaller one which was just right for two of us. We've now got a humungous one, and since I'm too mean to run it half (three-quarters) empty it only goes on twice a week. And when it finishes it takes some emptying (!)
I got dressed, and chuckled as I saw Treacle and Morgan cuddled up together. An hour earlier Treacle had had quite the grumbles and snarls about the puppies coming up for the last couple of hours of the night, and there they were snuggled up together.
 
I drove through the rain to work. As I drove some admiral or other was trying to make light of the UK's aircraft carrier HMS Prince of Wales having broken down. What an admission; it was all over the news. I bet the Russians and the Chinese keep quiet when their aircraft carriers go west...
And there was quite a bit of talk of the Chancellor of the Exchequer Nadhim Zahawi who was off on a jolly to America. Bearing in mind the new Prime Minister will be announced soon, he'll probably be out of a job within the week, so why not make the most of it and get the freebie holiday when he can. I would - wouldn't you?
 
But the main news of the day was the announcement that thousands of pubs face closure as they can't afford the ongoing energy costs and rising bills.
The cost of living crisis is hitting everyone; for a long time a trip to the pub has been something of a luxury. If people can't afford to eat and heat their homes,  a cheeky piss-up certainly not in the budget. The chap being interviewed was quite open that he can’t pass on his costs to the public any more, and was hoping (demanding) that the government subsidise him.
Will this be the death knell for pubs? Will they go the way of The Golden Egg and Rumbelows?
 
Work was the same as ever. I worked through what might have been tea break so that I could get out a tad earlier than usual when on the early shift, and set off to Eastbourne. Looking at the map there is no easy way to get from Maidstone to Eastbourne but at least I did it in daylight today (unlike last Friday night).
Next time I will take the main roads and totally ignore the sat-nav which was obsessed with taking the narrowest of country lanes.
So there I was driving along Smith’s Hill (B2010) when White Van Man came flying round the corner far too fast openly fiddling about on his mobile phone. The lane might have been wide enough for us to pass at walking speed (but only just). I swerved and scraped the hedges, and out of the corner of my eye I saw the look of panic on his face. But he didn’t slow down at all, and was out of sight in less than two seconds…
Presumably his van is scratched up too; I have no way of knowing. It has been suggested that I might have benefitted from a dash-cam. But (to the best of my recollection) this is my first smack-up in eighteen years.
 
After an hour and a half I eventually got to Eastbourne Hospital. Dad seemed far better than he was over the weekend, but was still very tired. He dozed off after twenty minutes, and I slipped off.
Getting home was much easier (and less traumatic) than getting there.
 
Oh… today would have been Fudge’s twelfth birthday…

No comments:

Post a Comment