14 August 2022 (Sunday) - Still Too Hot

I ached somewhat when I woke this morning. Perhaps I overdid it somewhat working in the garden yesterday. Something else I overdid was turning down the hot water. I had this idea if the hot water is on for a shorted time (and at a lower temperature) I might go some way to reducing the fuel bill. However when I came to have a shave the hot water was tepid at best. I’ve turned it back up a notch or two.

 

“er indoors TMset off to collect “Daddy’s Little Angel TM”, “Stormageddon – Bringer of Destruction TM  and Darcie Waa Waa to take them to the family swimming at Faversham. I thought better of going. I’ve had enough of this sunshine, and I’m too fat to be waddling abut in my swimmies. Instead I got on with ironing all the clothes that I’d washed yesterday from last week’s holiday. As I ironed I watched a couple of episodes of “The Sandman”. Supposedly the second most popular show on Netflix right now, it has made a good start.

After a couple of hours of ironing it was all done, and I had a look up the garden. Whilst still far too hot outside, it wasn’t as hot as yesterday. And I had a sudden thought. During the winter the shed roof leaked quite a bit. After the heatwave of the last month the shed roof isn’t going to get any drier, and there is heavy rain forecast for the coming week. Despite the heat, today was the perfect opportunity to re-roof the shed.

 

First of all I measured the length of the shed roof… and therein laid my mistake. What with a bit of overlap on the sides I needed three strips of roof felt each being one hundred and thirty inches long. I drove to B&Q and got a roll of roof felt, then came home and cracked on.

I only got three of the lengths I needed out of the roll of roof felt I’d bought, and I got all wound up about it. Three of those lengths is three hundred and ninety. The roof felt was supposedly ten metres long. In theory I would have over half the roll left; in practice I only had a tiny strip about ten centimetres across left over.

I phoned B&Q; had a rant, and just as I was putting the finishing touches to the roof I realised that my felt strips were one hundred and thirty inches long. Inches. Not centimetres. Woops!

But if nothing else the shed’s roof is now waterproof. It’s a shame that there’s some serious gaps between the planks on the sides of the shed, and in the shed door, but that will be a problem for another day. One day later in the week when the rain comes, I expect.

“er indoors TMreturned with “Daddy’s Little Angel TM”, “Stormageddon – Bringer of Destruction TM  and Darcie Waa Waa, and little Darcie Waa Waa was living up to her name. She was distraught and would not stop crying. Eventually she settled after having been given some Gaviscon.
The plan had been that we would all then go round to see My Boy TM”, but “er indoors TM drove the most recent fruit of my loin and her branch of the tribe home. Littlun clearly needed to sleep, and “er indoors TM said she’d meet me at My Boy TM”’s house later.

Managing to scrounge a lift from Glenn and Matt I beat her there by about an hour and a half.
 

We had a rather good evening. The first fruit of my loin sparked up the barby and we scoffed ourselves silly. And once we’d reached the point at which no more food could possibly be eaten, Cheryl got out the puddings.

I feel stuffed. But again I also feel rather knackered having overdone it yet again. And my hand still hurts…

No comments:

Post a Comment