6 August 2022 (Saturday) - Beaulieu Airfield

I woke up far too early, had a shave and cut a slice out of my chin. It didn’t bleed *that* much… perhaps an hour and a half? Whilst everyone snoozed I held toilet roll to my bleeding chin and sparked up my lap-top which still was unable to connect to my phone. After a little while one-handedly fiddling about and getting progressively more stressed with it, I hit on the frankly genus idea of turning the phone off and re-starting it. That did the trick.

I then programmed “Hannah” for today’s planned walk… and then went to find a pen or a “similarly poky thing” as I’d forgotten “Hannah”’s power switch broke some time ago and only works when I stick a poky thing into the hole where the switch used to be.

 

Everyone else got up about two hours after I’d woken up (I wish I could sleep in!) and it wasn’t long before the Sainsbury’s delivery arrived. It wasn’t long after that when we worked out what they’d not delivered. The ice cream and gin were missing, and after quite a bit of messing about on the phone Sainsburys said they’d give us a refund. Refund? That’d no use when you want ice cream and gin, is it?

But we had a rather good bit of brekkie, and as everyone else tidied up afterwards I walked up the road to the farm shop where we’d called in yesterday. They had pink gin, and walking there and back and talking to the nice lady in the shop (and four loads of horses on the way) only took twelve minutes.

 

We then went for a little walk. From the cottage we walked round the ponds and across the heathland which used to be an airfield. It was rather hot, but I kept the dogs going with the promise of a dip in the lake on the way back. As we came to the lake I said “go on – in the water”. I meant the clean lake water about ten yards away. *Not* the stagnant mire only a foot away that somehow I’d not seen. Oh, it (and they) stank.

We had a rather prolonged game at the lake trying to wash off the filth.

It didn’t wash off very well, and to add insult to injury there was no ice cream van at the pond as we walked home.

 

Once home we (not me!) bathed the dogs, and then we all gravitated to the patio where we sat and had ciders and bees and lemonades and dog ice cream (the dogs’ ice cream was here!) and coughed and spluttered as the half-wit next door burned all his garden rubbish and made so much smoke. No matter what it was, it went on his bonfire (including green weeds pulled straight from the garden). We made some rather loud pointed comments but he made a point of ignoring them. Eventually another neighbour came up and pointed out the blatantly obvious (having a bonfire when the entire New Forest is tinder-dry is the work of an imbecile) and the smoke stopped.

 

After half a dozen pints we shared half a dozen pizzas and a lot more profiteroles, then wandered over to the lakes again to watch the sunset.

It was rather pretty.

I took a few photos today. Today was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment