22 August 2022 (Monday) - FTF, Dragons

I found myself awake rather earlier than I might have been. Sleep wasn't happening so I got up, tiddled the puppies and took them up to see “er indoors TM. They are so eager to go upstairs every morning, but they don't dare go without me as Treacle is so grumpy toward them.

With dogs settled I made toast and had a quick look on-line. That geocache near work that went live yesterday morning still hadn't been found, so with the chance of a First to Find I set off earlier than I might have done.

 

As I drove up the motorway the pundits on the radio were interviewing various government ministers. Firstly about the unmonitored dumping of raw sewage onto Britain's coastlines, and about the cost of living crisis.

Everyone was talking about which agencies and charities might help, but no one in authority seemed to feel that it was up to them to do anything as none of them had the power to do anything. Isn't this the trouble with Britain today? Ever since Margaret Thatcher came to power forty years ago pretty much everything to do with the running of the country has been sold off to profit-making companies. I'm not saying that things were any better back in the day, but at least with nationalised infrastructure those supposedly in authority could actually do something about the running of the country (whether they did or not is entirely a different matter!)

 

I got to as close to the new geocache as was possible to drive, and started walking. As I walked a woman came up the path toward me...  "Good morning" she announced. She then told me that today was her birthday (she was forty) and proceeded to give me the detailed version of her life history. She seemed happy enough, but I formed the distinct impression that she was incredibly lonely... how many people are out and about on their own on obscure footpaths talking to random strangers at half past six in the morning on their fortieth birthday?

Eventually she wandered off, and I followed my sat-nav (phone) to a tree in a thicket where I rummaged to no avail. After a few minutes I had a look at the next tree along and found that for which I had been searching. And I was the first one there. FTF... Result!!

 

I went in to work for the early shift. As always I get in early so the night person could slip off promptly, and then spent much of the day peering down a microscope.

At tea break my phone pinged. “er indoors TM  had sent instructions. Usually I buy the household's bumwipe whenever I pop into Sainsburys on my way to work. But I have been relieved of bumwipe acquisition duties; she's set up a standing order with Amazon for bumwipe made out of bamboo which is (apparently) more eco-friendly than the stuff that comes from trees, and has less packaging too.

I can't wait for the first consignment to arrive...

 

An early start made for an early finish. I came home and took the dogs to the woods. We met two other groups of dogs. We played with the first set, and gave the second set a wide berth. The second set of dogs were each the size of cart horses and were both on leads. The woman holding the first dog was nowhere near strong enough to control that dog. Why get a dog that is far stronger than you are?

With “er indoors TM off bowling I watched the first episode of “House of the Dragon”; the prequel to “Game of Thrones”. Initially I nearly turned it off; for the first ten minutes it was just like the first “Star Trek” film; all special effects. But it soon chirped up. I won’t say what happened but I will say that I’m looking forward to next week’s episode…

No comments:

Post a Comment