31 January 2022 (Monday) - Before The Night Shift

I was hoping for something of a lie in this morning, but when “er indoors TM” got up so the dogs thundered downstairs after her making enough noise to wake the dead. Five minutes later they started a woofing fit. I gave up trying to sleep.

As yet another negative COVID test incubated I scoffed toast and peered into the depths of the Internet. There was a minor argument kicking off on the “Upstairs Downstairs” Facebook page as to just “how friendly” two of the housemaids in the show were. Some people don’t seem to realise it is a TV show, and quite a few people don’t seem to realise it is a TV show from nearly fifty years ago and were complaining about spoilers being given.

There would also seem to be consternation down on the Romney Marsh with the Facebook group “The Actual Marsh Watch” having sprung up apparently in competition with “The Real Marsh Watch”.

As everyone else in the world seemed to be telling Facebook that they were playing “Wordle”, I played a round of “Sweardle”. It is much the same as “Wordle”; only a bit more rude.

I had a look at my emails and saw that I’d been told about new Munzees seventeen miles away, then looked at the Munzee map and saw I’d not been told about the two new ones within two hundred yards of home. This happens all the time – I’ve emailed Munzee HQ to see if they will sort it out. I wonder if they will reply?

 

I took the dogs for a walk. We went to the park today, and it wasn’t one of our better walks. It started with both Pogo and Treacle flying into the road at a dog on the other side. Fortunately they were on their leads, but even so if a car had been coming, they would both now be dead. They flew at the dog with such force that my back was rather badly yanked, and it is still playing up now.

We walked round the park where we barked and snarled at everyone and everything. We came home through the co-op field. Sadly part of the co-op field has been given over to the “Queen’s Green Canopy” in which the local council is “co-ordinating and supporting projects across the borough and invites everyone from residents to businesses, land owners, developers, schools, villages and volunteer groups to help with this ambitious initiative.” The idea is to plant a hundred and thirty-five thousand trees locally, and they’ve clearly made a start in the co-op field. I wonder which land owners, developers, schools, villages or volunteer group planted these trees. There are hundreds of saplings packed into an area which was once a playing field; packed far too closely. Either the plan is that most of the trees are intended to die before maturity, or whoever it was that planted them doesn’t know much about planting trees. The Woodland Trust recommends planting trees two metres apart. Whoever got busy in the co-op field has gone for (at best) a quarter of that distance.

 

We came home; I emptied the dishwasher, set the washing machine going and did a little on-line survey about how much walking and hiking I do. As I surveyed, the dogs woofed; someone was at the geocache in the front garden, so I went out and said hello. We talked Tupperware for a few minutes then I went inside and wrote up a little CPD (not done that for a while!) before spending the afternoon in bed. 

And now I’m off to the night shift. There’s no denying that I don’t want to go. What with two weeks sick leave, a week of holiday and today off before the night shift, this is the longest time I have ever had off of work in over forty years and I’ve got used to it. I don’t dislike my job, but I am tired of it. I shall see how tonight (and the next few weeks) goes… But more and more I am thinking about taking my pension and retiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment