28 January 2022 (Friday) - More of The Same

I was having a rather good lie-in when Pogo started screaming for no apparent reason. He does that from time to time. I wish he wouldn’t.

I got up and spent an entertaining few minutes watching Treacle sulk at her brekkie. She’d eaten up the dog food she likes but was glaring at a bowl of biscuits in utter contempt. Pogo was tucking into his biscuits quite happily. When Pogo had finished his biccies and turned his stare in her direction so she started eating. Silly dogs.

 

I was invited to join a Facebook group today. “Lego Scammers” is for people who have been conned when trying to buy Lego over the Internet. Having been conned, you then publish all the details of the person who scammed you to warn others. It is a sad old world when people are making a living out of pretending to sell Lego. Apparently this is big business.

I also got the link to a friend’s funeral which is taking place in a couple of weeks’ time. Despite lifting of lockdown restrictions there is only space for seventy-six people at the crematorium and there are over a hundred family members wanting to go. Watching the thing on-line is the way to go. Interestingly when I logged in (to check it worked) I was offered the chance to download a video of the service after it had happened. For thirty quid (!) Bearing in mind how much a funeral costs, someone’s taking the piss here, aren’t they?

 

I got the leads onto the dogs who seemed far more enthusiastic about a walk today than they had been all week. As we drove we listened to “Desert Islands Discs”. Today’s castaway was the businessman John Caudwell who was the chap behind “Phones 4 U”. His life sounded rather interesting, but then doesn’t that of anyone who has done well for themselves. 

We drove up to Kings Wood (yet again) where we explored more of the top end of the wood. We had a potential “near-miss episode” as we walked. Fortunately my two just walked straight on past with me, but… I blame the owner of the other dog.

If you’ve got a girl dog in season and you don’t want her having puppies with any other random dog, what do you do? Personally I would either keep her at home or walk her on a lead. I *wouldn’t* take her for a run in the woods whilst shrieking hysterically in panic at every other dog owner I met from a hundred yards away.

 

After three miles of mostly new (to us) footpaths we were back at the car. We came home to see not-so-nice-next-door in her from garden, making a point of pretending not to see us. I’m rather sad to say that such a sad state of affairs suits me just fine. She’s ignored us for years. I made a special effort to be civil to her last year and she made it abundantly clear she would prefer not to be on speaking terms, so there it is.

I washed the dogs’ paws (as they were a tad grubby), then took a mop and bucket to the car (it too was a tad grubby), then sparked up the telly and watched some films on Netflix. “Rise of the Footsoldier 3” was entertaining even if it did have the most shallow of plots. “Rise of the Krays” was good; even if I did have to keep rewinding it as I kept falling asleep.

“er indoors TM” came home and sorted out fish and chips which we scoffed whilst watching “Junior Bake Off”.

 

This has been pretty much the theme of the week off – a walk round Kings Wood in the morning and the rest of the day on the sofa watching the telly with sleeping dogs. There’s something oddly satisfying about doing absolutely nothing with a dog asleep on top of you.

I did have an invitation for this evening – but I’m not going back to the Astro club. For the last year of so of my involvement with it there was one member (now on the committee) who would make a point of coming up, standing in front of me (as though I wasn’t there) and starting a conversation with whoever it was I had been talking to. And whoever I had been talking to would then also pretend I wasn’t there and talk to her instead. When I last went to the club it was up to me to send out invitations to every meeting, and there was quite a bit of nastiness directed at me from this person because I hadn’t sent her a personal invite; even though she’d set her social media settings to prevent me contacting her.

Ironically it is this person who’d sent me an invite to the meeting this evening.

I am reliably informed that she may well have had no idea that her deliberately blanking me (for over a year) might be construed as deliberate and calculated rudeness, and that in taking offence I was in the wrong for having been over-sensitive.

Isn’t this just typical of today’s society?

No comments:

Post a Comment