30 January 2022 (Sunday) - Helping the R.S.P.B.

The nice people at Credit Karma sent me an email today congratulating me on having bought a new car. I only got it three months ago… Despite absolutely nothing having changed in my finances over the last week my credit rating with them has dropped by eleven points. I wonder why.

Mind you according to their information I have absolutely nothing outstanding on my credit card and have no mortgage either (both wrong) so I have to wonder just how good this credit-checking agencies actually are.

Daddy’s Little Angel TM” phoned as I was finishing brekkie with a question about relativistic physics. Most people would wonder what had provoked suck an obscure thought; I just went with the flow. What with all the lockdown and pandemic restrictions being abandoned (in a shallow attempt at vote-grabbing by a desperate Prime Minister?) her job has now evaporated which is something of a pain.

As I explained to the most recent fruit of my loin what happens when you approach light speed, “er indoors TM” cleared up dog sick. Treacle had blown. I blame whatever foul thing (dead frog?) she had been eating in the Kings Wood car park yesterday.

 

We took the dogs for a walk. Having been to Kings Wood for the last six days we gave it a miss today. We also avoided the park. Sunday is family park run – in theory it is like the Saturday park run but for children. In practice parents who like jogging force their unwilling children to run round the park. The last time we were there for family park run day, a lot of the children were crying as they were made to go faster by several sets of bullying parents who couldn’t understand why their children were sobbing.

We went to Frog’s Island and had quite a good walk. Treacle carried her tennis ball; Pogo played “Catch” with his. But there’s no denying it was cold; we certainly picked the right day yesterday for our long walk.

 

Once home I gathered a bumper crop of dog dung from the garden, then sat quietly at one end of the garden and shivered as I did my bit for the RSPB’s Big Garden Birdwatch. The idea is that people watch their garden for an hour and note the comings and goings of our feathered friends. After an hour we then have to report the greatest numbers of the various bird species that were seen together at any one time in that hour. According to the rules, for birds to count they had to have landed. Birds flying over were not to be added to the tally. For all that I could hear birds chirping about it was fifteen minutes before I actually saw one. But a fly-by by a seagull didn’t count, and neither did two crows who came overhead ten minutes after that. I was beginning to get rather disillusioned at the three-quarters of an hour point, but that was when it all got exciting. A collared dove landed on the tree overhanging from not-so-nice-next-door.

After about thirty seconds it shoved off, but it had landed (albeit on a branch). As it had been on the tree over my garden I decided that counted. It was as well that I did; that was all that I recorded. An hour out in the cold for one collared dove. What a load of rubbish.

Call me old-fashioned if you will, but I much preferred bird watching some thirty years ago when we had two young Australian ladies living next door who used to sunbathe in the garden in the nip.

 

“er indoors TM” and Cheryl went off shopping. Apparently we are getting a new kitchen (!) I can’t think of anything more tedious than trolling round kitchen showrooms, but Cheryl was keen, so I let them go and have a look-see and I’ll pretend to be interested in the shortlist they eventually produce.

I cuddled up with dogs on the sofa and watched episodes of “Four In A Bed” in which (yet again) the most critical person turned out to have far and away the worst bed and breakfast.

 

“er indoors TM” returned full of enthusiasm. I wanted to share her excitement, but… I realise that our current kitchen is over thirty years old, but it is still perfectly serviceable. She uses it to boil up (quite frankly) excellent dinners every day. Do we (I) really need to squander the fat end of ten thousand quid on a new one?

“er indoors TM” then scored something of an own goal by using the existing kitchen to boil up a particularly good steak dinner which we washed down with a bottle of rather good red wine whilst watching an episode of “Lego Masters: Australia” and an episode of “Junior Bake Off”. Mind you I didn’t dare tell her she’d scored an own goal…

No comments:

Post a Comment