21 January 2022 (Friday) - Getting My Leak Sorted

I woke with a vague sense of feeling rough. I’ve been doing that for a week or so which I suppose is only to be expected, but I’m getting a tad fed up with it now. I got out the syringe and blasted an impressive amount of scabby gunk out of my sinuses (yuk!), but that is the price of being able to breathe without the sensation of there being a marble lodged in my airways.

I scoffed toast as a headache set in, and I peered into Facebook. A friend who moved back home to Australia several years ago had posted photos of a recent trip she’d taken to the Blue Mountains. They looked beautiful. I’d like to go there… and then I read what another friend had posted and decided that I wouldn’t like to go there at all. The other friend had posted that “travel is the healthiest addiction”; and I remembered that whilst I like being at new and amazing places, I’m not very keen on the “travelling” bit. Take my (relatively) recent family holidays to Greece and Turkey. Home to hotel took over fourteen rather tedious hours. Or when I took scouts to America and Canada – over a day spent travelling.

I would love to be at the Blue Mountains in Australia. I just wouldn’t like the getting there and coming home.

 

Seeing the car was covered in ice I thought I’d leave it where it was, and I took the dogs to the park instead. We had a good walk; even if it was a cold walk. I took the tennis balls. Pogo played “catch”, Treacle tried to monopolise both balls. After a while both dogs lost interest and just carried the balls. I’ve discovered that a tennis ball to my dogs is like a dummy to a baby; it has a calming influence. Having had a woof at one dog on the way to the park, with balls in our mouths we ignored all the other dogs we met (including  one slavering death-hound barely restrained by a local thug).

As we walked my phone beeped. A message. The geo-feds had looked at the new location I’d found for my new bonus yesterday and said it was too close to an existing geocache. I wasn’t impressed; I knew that there might be an issue with that existing geocache and I had specifically gone out yesterday, measured the co-ordinates of that existing cache and found that where I was planning was five hundred yards away.

I mumbled and muttered and grumbled all the way home, sparked up the lap-top and saw what had gone wrong. Having worked out the location of the cache that might be in my way I then put that location in as the location of my new one instead of its proper location.

Oh, how I laughed.

 

The dogs then went mad as there was a knock on the door. It was the plumber. There’s been a little leak from the bathroom radiator over the last few weeks. I suspect there are those reading this who will be rolling their eyes wondering why I’m getting a plumber in for a simple job (I know I don’t dare tell my dad that I got a plumber in) but I am convinced that in fiddling with the radiator I would do damage costing far more than paying the plumber to come round in the first place. The chap found that what with warming up and cooling down twice every day the valves had come a little loose. He’s tightened them, and said that if they continue to leak he will come back and replace them. I suppose I *could* have tightened them myself… *if* I knew what bit to tighten.

 

I did the ironing, and had something of a telly day. I finished watching the last episodes of “Foundation”. I suppose it was rather good really… without giving any spoilers it has to be said that from watching the big cliff-hanger in the ninth episode it is painfully obvious that whoever wrote the TV show *really* didn’t understand the entire idea behind the “Foundation” books. But it did make for good TV. I must admit that I’m looking forward to the second season… even if the show has now gone forward a hundred and thirty-eight years and (if it continues to follow the books) has missed out much of the good stuff of the story. 

“er indoors TM” came home and sorted some fish and chips (or “chips fishun” as the first fruit of my loin used to call them) which we scoffed whilst watching more episodes of “Junior Bake Off” which is a very entertaining show but does seem to follow a fixed format in which two older children compete in a baking show whilst several younger children get food colouring all over their hands and clothing, and various flours and doughs all over their faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment