19 January 2022 (Wednesday) - Kings Wood, Lego

My back wasn’t at all painful this morning, so as “er indoors TM” and the dogs clumped downstairs I thought I might take the opportunity of a lie in. After ten minutes the dogs came back upstairs and stomped all over me in an attempt to make themselves comfortable. They then shouted, barked and screamed intermittently for no reason at all, and after twenty minutes both decided I had been in bed long enough and both started licking my face and chewing my ears until I got up.

Once I was up they clearly felt their work was done and they both ran off to follow “er indoors TM” round like second shadows until she went to work.

 

I made toast, set yet another negative COVID test incubating, and had a little look at the Internet. It was still there, Two or three friends were posting links to a “Go Fund Me” campaign for a small child with incurable cancer whose parents had heard of some clinic Germany who claimed they could help. Maybe the clinic could, but I was reminded of an old friend who was losing his eyesight when we were both teenagers many years ago. The people of Hastings raised hundreds of thousands of pounds to send him (on multiple visits) to a clinic in Switzerland for treatments not offered on the NHS. The NHS didn’t offer those treatments for the simple reason that they did not work. The clinic achieved absolutely nothing (apart from taking the money) and was later exposed as a money-making scam preying on the desperate.

Another friend was posting twee inspirational memes. A lot of people do this and it really boils my piss. People who have never been handed lemons by life always advocate making lemonade. And those who post loudly and publicly  about always being there for friends in need rarely are.

I turned the lap-top off and took the dogs out.

 

We drove up to Kings Wood where we had a rather good little walk. Not too far, and the dogs were good with the other dogs we met.

As we walked I saw something that caught my eye. A plastic contained wrapped in camouflage tape. And not just any plastic container wrapped in camouflage tape. One with a blue lid – a peanut butter jar wrapped in camouflage tape with a geocaching log inside it. One of my geocaches. I have several (fifty) of the things in those woods, but the closest one should have been at least half a mile from where we found this one broken open and laying on the ground. I’d replaced one reported as missing a few weeks ago, so was this that one having gone on a little walkabout? If so, how did it walk over half a mile?

My first thought was to blame local kids… but do kids ever play in the woods (like I used to) anymore. I go up those woods at all times of day and on all days of the week and the only kids I ever see are those being dragged round by their parents or the local scouts doing outdoor stuff.

As we walked I thought that it wasn’t *that* muddy really. But it was muddy enough for the dogs to need to be hosed down when we got home.

 

I did a little more of my Coursera course, had a lunch of a humungous bag of crisps that went out of date last November, then set about Lego. Yesterday I put together the set I got for my eleventh birthday – set 367 “Space module with Astronauts”. It took me just under an hour. Today I spent four and a half hours putting together what “er indoors TM” had got me last Christmas – set 10266 “NASA Apollo 11 Lunar Lander”. I’ve always wanted to see the two sets together. The old one is rather basic and chunky, and the new one… Don’t get me wrong – I really enjoyed making it, But there is so much detail in it. And much of that detail is inside the model where you can’t see it. There are controls and fuel tanks and all sorts of things inside that I spent ages making just to build them in never to be seen again.

I’ve got stickers I am supposed put on them, but I don’t like to put stickers on Lego. Will I put them on? I will have a think.

I took a few photos of the two models. “er indoors TM” says I can leave them out on one of the two shelves I have in the living room. She’s got over twenty shelves, but I don’t dare ask for more.

 

“er indoors TM” boiled up a very good bit of dinner which we scoffed whilst watching the first episode of “Junior Bake Off” which the host Harry Hill described as being “like real Bake Off but more fun

 

And we ended the day with something of a result. I thought today was Thursday – it isn’t. Tomorrow is a bonus day.

No comments:

Post a Comment