24 March 2022 (Thursday) - Rostered Day Off

I slept through till eight o’clock this morning which was something of a result. I had a shave, set another COVID test going and cracked open a café latte Slimfast shake thingy which I scoffed as I peered at the Internet.

There wasn’t much going on with Facebook this morning. A friend had shared a memory of their having seen The ELO Experience a few years ago and was looking forward to seeing them in Whitstable next weekend. I saw them at the Sinden theatre in Tenterden about ten years ago and they were rather good. I was rather miffed to find out I’d missed the chance to get tickets to see them again - I follow them on Facebook and hadn’t seen any mention of their coming to Kent again.

Having got yet another negative COVID test I then tried to order up some more. I went through ten different screens before being told they’d run out. You’d think they’d tell you right away, wouldn’t you? I tried again (many times) through the day to no avail. I wonder what the boss will say tomorrow – it is on her orders that I’m doing so many.

 

Treacle was keen to go out, so I put the electric screwdriver on to charge (!) and we walked up to the park, did our usual circuit and came home again. We met no loonies or nutters, no one bothered us and we woofed and barked at no one.

 

With walk walked I got busy in the garden. At the weekend I took apart the old arbour we’d had for fifteen years. Much of the wood had rotted through, but the sides were still good, so I upcycled them. I’ve got all sorts of things in the garden that I use that don’t fit in the shed. The huge bucket/pot for cleaning out the fish pond filter. Various buckets of stones for future garden features. A dustbin half-filled with soil. The garden waste dustbin… all of which live down the side of the shed and they look awful. So using the planks from the arbour that weren’t rotten I built the slatted sides and backs of the old arbour into a screen. There was a minor mishap when the drill bit snapped, and another minor mishap when one of the screws got stuck half-way and wouldn’t budge. But nothing I couldn’t sort with a spare drill bit and a hefty clout with a hammer.

You can see a few photos of what I did here. The end result wasn’t too shabby. It would look better if attached to the wall or the shed… but that involves going to B&Q and spending money on parts. I did everything today from left-over bits and bobs.

 

I then had a look at the household accounts and totted up what I’d squandered over the last month. As always I’m nowhere near as skint as I might be, but nowhere near as rich as I want to be.

I scoffed a “Choc Chip Tasty Balanced Meal Bar” then played “Star Trek: Elite Force” for a while. I had intended to do more out in the garden, but I ached a bit, so I turned on the telly and watched more “Trailer Park Boys  in which our heroes tried to capture a samsquanch (!) for financial gain. 

“er indoors TM” is boiling up dinner – the Slimfast recipe sheet comes up with pretty decent scran and change out of six hundred calories. I shall have a tin of diet coke with it – have you seen how many calories there are in a bottle of plonk?

No comments:

Post a Comment