1 March 2022 (Tuesday) - Bit Tired

When I first started doing night shifts, the shift went from five o’clock in the afternoon round till nine o’clock the next morning, and (on average) I would have done far less work in any of those sixteen hours than I did in the first hour of last night’s shift. It was with something of a sense of relief that I greeted the early shift as he came in.

The radio was talking about nothing but the ongoing Russian invasion of Ukraine this morning; the general consensus is that the Russians are finding the Ukraine a far tougher nut to crack than they had expected it to be. I rolled my eyes when there was talk about the refugees – the British Government is supposedly putting obstacles in the way of those wanting to flee to the UK to escape the war, and the general consensus of the British public is that the British Government is not doing anywhere near enough to help. What is it about this conflict that makes the average Brit want to help those in need? Only three months ago a crowd of people stopped the launch of Hastings lifeboat for fear that it might help refugees.

 

Mind you the average Brit isn’t always the sharpest nail in the box. I came off of the motorway to find gridlock. Have you ever driven round Ashford’ Cows Roundabout at rush hour? I wouldn’t if I were you. With traffic coming from five directions, everyone is pressing for advantage and no one is prepared to give any space. So everyone facing a green traffic light can’t go anywhere as their way is blocked by someone who jumped a red light. Each cycle of the lights was allowing (at most) only one car through, with many cycles allowing no one. I drove the twenty-something miles from Maidstone to the Cows Roundabout in less time than it took me to drive the couple of hundred yards across it.

The annoying thing with this roundabout is how quickly it fills up; had I not chatted for ten minutes before leaving work I would probably have missed the queues.

 

I got home and went to bed for a couple of hours; despite the dogs having two separate “Red Alerts” in that time. I’d decided to walk the dogs after I’d had a little sleep as the weather forecast had been better for later in the day. I think it fair to say that it wasn’t. But we didn’t get *that* wet as we went round the block.

 

Over a late brekkie I prepared the Munzee clan for the forthcoming Munzee Clan War (which starts on Thursday), and recalled all my Rovers. Regular readers of this drivel may recall that last month I bought a pack of virtual dogs to use in the Munzee game, and so far they haven’t done very much. When the Clan War starts on Thursday I shall try again with them. Perhaps they need to start further from home?

I also acquired two sham rocks as I Munzee-ed. I wonder what they are all about?

 

Usually after a night shift I do the ironing whilst watching two and a half hours of episodes of “Four In A Bed”. Whilst I do like that show, at least one hour of that two and a half hours is adverts, and usually these adverts are for suffering animals and children. This afternoon as I ironed I watched more “Trailer Park Boys” as the dishwasher and washing machine both did their things.

Until they stopped.

I thought that both machines were quiet; the power had failed on both. I pulled the plugs out, plugged them both back in, and both were working again. What was that all about? 

As today is pancake day “er indoors TM” sorted some out for dinner. I think I had eleven… I’ve got a stomach ache now…

No comments:

Post a Comment