29 March 2022 (Tuesday) - Rather Busy

I again woke feeling like death warmed up and would definitely have phoned in sick had I been at work today. But by the time I’d got up, made toast and turned the telly on I was feeling fine.

I watched an episode of “Trailer Park Boys” I which our heroes got confused between zombies and aliens, then woke Treacle and took her out.

 

We drove over to the garage where the car was having “car things” done today. Whilst I have detailed knowledge and understanding of most of the surgical procedures that people have done to them, the car equivalents are a total mystery to me. We got to the garage a few minutes early and…

Poor Treacle. 

She obviously had associated the car drive as the forerunner of one of our weekend walks, and so she massively over-reacted every time a car or another person came near. However after initially getting very over-excited to see someone in the distance she then cowered in terror when she realised that it was a stranger and not a friend. I also felt rather sorry for the dog-lovers who had seen a dog apparently very keen to see them, coming up to see her only to find a dog cowering in terror and *seriously* not wanting to say hello.

We left the car with the nice people at the garage and walked home along the river following a walk I used to do with my Fudge back in the day. As we walked I remembered hm being smothered in fox poo as we walked that way, and someone insisting on stroking him and consequently getting fox poo all over their hands.

 

We got home where I set the washing machine  loose on shirts and then got the ironing board out and spent a couple of hours watching a film. “Disobedience” was a rather good film. Leaving aside the gratuitous girlie snogging it made me think. The film was all about a young woman who had eventually managed to escape her religious upbringing. I sometimes wonder if we hadn’t moved away from Hastings, would we still be wrapped up in the church?

I’d done ironing this morning since rain had been forecast. But seeing that the weather had ignored the forecast I went into the garden. Regular readers of this drivel may recall that a couple of weeks ago I disassembled the garden arbour. “er indoors TM” had bought a replacement bench from Wayfair, and I thought I might build the thing this morning. I expected it to take a couple of hours and involve a lot of swearing; the whole thing went together in about twenty minutes. It looks rather good, but is a tad on the flimsy side. The old arbour lasted over twelve years before I put my arse through it for the first time. I seriously doubt if this bench will survive the year. Time will tell; it always does.

I then ran round the garden with the lawn mower, and just as I finished so my phone rang. The car was ready for collection.

 

Seeing it was still not raining, after a bite of dinner I took Treacle to go get the car. We walked back the way we came. As we walked we saw a few other dogs; Treacle just kept away from them, which suited me. I’d rather she said hello and sniffed, but I’ll settle for just keeping a distance.

As we walked we saw “her from down the road”. “Her from down the road” lives down the road (obviously) and has a son who went to school with the first fruit of my loin. So we’ve been seeing her intermittently since the early nineties, and in all that time she has never once smiled. She *always* has an expression which really is that of a morose bulldog licking piss from a stinging nettle. And today was no exception. As we passed her in South Willesborough I smiled and said hello. She grunted, with a face (quite frankly) like a smacked arse.

We got to the garage and collected the car. The bill was two hundred pounds less than what they had told me it would be, which was something of a result. And the nice man at the garage was impressed when Treacle did “boot dog” and jumped into the car’s boot as he handed the key back.

As we drove home we saw “her from down the road” coming past our house, still looking rather glum.

 

Once home I sat myself down, and as Treacle growled bravely at the world from the safety of the sofa (safely behind double glazing) I spent an hour or so playing “Worms”.

Incoming !!!!

 

“er indoors TM” boiled up home made pizza again which we washed down with a bottle of “Les Calcaires Pinot Noir” which I can only describe as “not too shabby at all!” As we scoffed and drank we watched the first episode of the second season of “Lego Masters USA”.

Not a bad way to spend the evening…

No comments:

Post a Comment