19 March 2022 (Saturday) - Dismantling the Arbour

I slept well. As I scoffed my toast I watched “Trailer Park Boys”. Ricky is now living in a barn “like people used to before houses were invented” and had found a goat (which he thought was a “double unicorn”).

I sparked up my lap-top. Facebook was still there, but not a lot was happening quite so early in the morning. One friend had had a bad night with a drunken neighbour making noise until the small hours. We had that many years ago from the side where the neighbours change regularly. One chap would come home drunk and play his noisy music which would continue after he’d fallen asleep. After the second or third time I hammered on his front door at six o'clock the next morning and told him that if he wanted to have his music on in the small hours then he would be woken after only two hours sleep. He started to argue; I explained that whatever he said was fine, but the price of his music was only two hours sleep, and that was not negotiable. He never did it again and moved out shortly after, never to be seen again.

Nothing else was going on in the Internet, so I got ready for work.

 

I set off to work, and after a couple of miles I realised I'd forgotten the swipe card I needed to get into the works car park. It didn't take that long to go back home to get it. 

As I drove to work the pundits on the radio were talking about how President Putin is to be charged with war crimes. I'm not saying that what the Russian forces are doing in Ukraine is within the remit of international law, but I have difficulty with the concept of "war crimes". Surely the whole point of a war is that any attempt at reasoned discussion and legal process to sort a disagreement has failed, and force is being used to impose your will on your enemy. War is per se illegal, isn’t it? Can you really "fight nicely"? The entire concept seems to be something of a non sequitur to me.

There was also talk of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge having run into problems on their tour of the Caribbean. It is all very well for Prince William to be spouting his high ideals and green visions; he’s not poor. Unlike the villagers who can’t afford to face the consequences of what he has in mind.

Meanwhile science has discovered Star Trek's Mirror universe.

 

As I drove up the motorway I saw there were people actually working in the ten mile stretch that has been cordoned off along the motorway. There were there at half past seven on a Saturday morning, and they were also there at half past nine last night.

Mind you there was no one to be seen in the entire ten miles as I came home at half past one this afternoon.

 

I came home and mowed the lawn, sprinkled out some lawn food and pulled weeds out of the shingle, then stared into the pond. It is incredibly clear right now; you can see right to the bottom. I fed the fish, then had a little look at the arbour. Despite “er indoors TM” giving the thing a serious overhaul two years ago (when I put my arse through it), it was poggered. I thought about trying to effect more repairs to keep it going, but it had had it. There is only so many bits of perished wood you can screw together. We originally built the thing on 8 April 2007 (to be honest, Jose built it) so we’ve had our money’s worth out of it.

My Boy TM” called round to collect the chess set, and once he’d gone I set about  dismantling the arbour. A little judicious screwdrivering ably assisted by some wanton hammering soon had the thing in pieces. Some of the fragments will go to the tip; some will be recycled into a garden screen to hide all the tat stuffed down the side of the shed.

I’m reliably informed the new garden bench will arrive tomorrow evening.

 

“er indoors TM” made pizza (from scratch!) which we scoffed whilst watching the latest episode of “Star Trek: Picard” in which our heroes travelled back in time because… because that’s what you do in Star Trek. Last week’s episode of “Star Trek: Picard” was rather good. This week they did the same old story which has been done better at least a couple of dozen times already.

 

I’ve programmed “Hannah” for tomorrow. I might make a sandwich for tomorrow before I go to bed… Or I might not.

No comments:

Post a Comment