24 September 2021 (Friday) - Rostered Day Off

I slept like a log last night, When the dogs don’t try to crowd me out, things are just peachy. After nearly nine hours I got up, made toast and had a look at the Internet to see if I’d missed much. I hadn’t really. I saw that a friend was having a birthday today; I sent my usual birthday video and found myself rather thoughtful. I first met the chap (who was having a birthday) over twenty-five years ago. He came along to the Tuesday night Trekkie-club that I used to organise; we had so much fun together over the years including two week-long caravan holidays in Dorset. But apart from two chance meetings in the street I’ve only seen him twice in the last five years. Over the years I met so many people through Trekkie-ing and we had such good fun. But looking back there were two or three of us who would organise, and two or three dozen who would enjoy the efforts of that two or three. As the few stopped organising things (for one reason or another) so the whole Tuesday Trekkie-ing thing died.

This is the story of my life, isn’t it? The snake club, kite club, Trekkie-ing, works football club (yes I ran a five-a-side club once!), summer camping holidays, mid-week weekly geocaching events, the social side of the Astro club (which only last week I was told is now moribund)… I’m tired. Can’t someone else organise something?

I had an email from the Credit Karma. My credit rating has gone up five points but is still nine less than what it was in June. I wonder why? Nothing had really changed in that time.

 

I loaded the dogs into the car and drove out to… I won’t say where. I was hiding some geocaches, and there is great kudos in being the first one to find them. There are a few people who lives locally who have what I can only describe as an addiction to being First to Find. In the past people really have been out and found two entire series of the things “er indoors TM” hid before they were officially published by following my blog posts and Facebook photos. I’ve had this on caches I’ve hidden before, as have friends and acquaintances who have also been stalked. It’s all caused no end of bad feeling over something which is supposed to be a bit of fun.

Unbelievable, isn’t it…

But we got to wherever it was that we went and had a very good walk. As we approached the corner of a field so Treacle ran forward and adopted a “hunting dog pose” and started snarling. I looked round the corner to see a herd of a dozen deer scampering off.

Part of our route went through someone’s garden. The footpath really does go through a garden. A bit of a pain but there it is.

After an hour (or so) and two and a half miles we were back at the start. As we’d walked I’d found hides for fourteen geocaches. The Wherigo I’d got ready to go had six stages so will need a little re-writing *if* the geo-feds are happy with the locations.

I took a few photos as we walked; the terrain is flat; the views are lovely. Ideal for dog walks.

 

We came home and I left the dogs with “er indoors TM” whilst I popped to the vets for Treacle’s flea and worming treatments, and then went on to the local bakery for cakes for lunch.

We scoffed the cakes; they made an excellent bit of lunch. As I scoffed I did the monthly accounts. The app via which I get an e-copy of my payslip seems to have failed. Probably just as well. This month featured our pay rise which seems to have been more than taken by all sorts of other expenses. I would ask (in all seriousness) that the next time there is one of these (frankly embarrassing) stand-on-the-doorstep-and-clap-like-a-thing-possessed things organised, rather than joining in, people go to their local hospitals and throw money.

Don’t get me wrong – I’m not (entirely) pot-less. But surely the idea of a pay rise for a health service which has bust a gut for over a year during an international pandemic (from a nation which won’t shut up about how grateful it is) isn’t just to keep up with inflation?

 

I then cracked on with the geo-admin that goes with the project I’m working on. The bit I needed to show to the geo-feds only took two hours, then I started working on the Wherigo cartridge. Creating eight new zones only took two more hours.

 

“er indoors TM” boiled up fish and chips, and as we scoffed it we watched a film. “Yesterday” features a struggling musician who wakes up in a world in which no one had ever heard of the Beatles… and so makes himself a fortune. It was quite a good twist on a very old idea.

Today has been rather busy…

No comments:

Post a Comment