19 February 2022 (Saturday) - Geo-Meet

Having been awake for a few hours I gave up trying to sleep, got up and watched an episode of “People Just Do Nothing” as I scoffed toast.

Rather than sparking up my lap-top I got dressed and took the dogs out to Great Chart. I’d planned to activate my Adventure Lab series over there today, and the geo-feds had assured me they would be doing their bit at 11am. I could have put the physical bonus cache out during the week, but I’d deliberately left it to the last minute.

We had a good walk. Despite one or two fallen trees (and a blown-away shed) our way wasn’t blocked to the point of impassability like I thought it might have been. As we walked, Treacle carried a large stick and Pogo played “catch” as we went from the top-secret cache location up to the river and back again.

 

We came home. I took a hammer to my walking boot to repair a broken eyelet, then had another look at the garden to assess storm damage. Our garden seems to have got off unscathed but most of the fruit trees hanging over the fence from nice next door have gone. I see that as a result as they only drop over-ripe plums onto the shingle and they are a pain to move (unless you are Pogo and you carry them into the house). I went up the garden to have a closer look and tried not to laugh as I saw where the fallen trees were. They were blocking the drive at the back of our house, and the new owner there was sawing the wreckage away. He was nearly finished, but told me he’d been at it for two hours.

 

I gave myself a quick haircut, then “er indoors TM” served up a cuppa and some hot cross buns and all the power went off. That was a pain in the glass. I was just about to get off my bum and check the fuses when it all came back on again, so I asked on one of the local Facebook pages if anyone else had had an outage. It would seem that power had gone out for two minutes across most of Ashford.

With power restored I spent an hour or so trying (and failing) to solve geo-puzzles.

 

We settled the dogs and drove round to Singleton Barn where I was hosting the monthly geo-meet. Having been let down at short notice by the Swan and Dog in Great Chart, Singleton Barn did us proud today, They gave us a dedicated area which we filled, I was rather pleased with how the event went; I got to meet up with old friends and I got to meet new friends. And I got more beer than sense too. I took a few photos of the day too – you can see them by clicking here. I had fifteen people who said they would be along – we ended up with twenty-six. I was rather pleased about that.

I’ve got several really good “attended” log of the meet – one of them read “…it was great to put some faces to geonames and meet like minded folk. Bar menu was good and company friendly…” which was *exactly* what I was intending for today. 

“er indoors TM” then drove us home, and I put the heating on and prepared for the onslaught whilst she fetched “Daddy’s Little Angel TM” and “Stormageddon – Bringer of Destruction TM . “My Boy TM” and Aunty Chel came to see littlun and we had a good couple of hours until “Stormageddon – Bringer of Destruction TM had to be home.

“er indoors TM” drove him home, and came home with Asda’s Chinese for tea. I ate far too much, and now have a belly ache…  

No comments:

Post a Comment