11 February 2022 (Friday) - Not Getting Cake


I slept like a log last night; it’s amazing what a bottle of red wine and a couple of glasses of port can do.

I made toast and scoffed it whilst watching an episode of “People Just Do Nothing” before having a little rummage through the Internet. Today’s amazingly petty trivial on-line argument in which people got really aggressively over-excited was about how Daleks make space-ships. You wouldn’t believe the hatred and venom that such a stupid question generated. And there was quite a bit of talk on one of the NHS staff Facebook pages where again it was made perfectly clear that if you are not a nurse then you can f… off. Generic NHS staff Facebook pages are like that.

A friend was complaining on one of the Hastings-related Facebook pages about the utterly inadequate street lighting down there. I suppose I’m glad it isn’t just Ashford with the problem. Back in the day I was on the committee of the local astronomy committee which was consulted on these L.E.D. street lights. What was promised is certainly not what was delivered. The street lights in Ashford give tiny pools of light whilst leaving most of the street in darkness. So much so that you can’t see a black dog on the end of a lead. And no one at local or county council wants to take responsibility for it, or claims to know who would be the people to put it right. It’s a rant I’ve done to death… perhaps I should start harassing the local councillors again. I wonder when they are up for election?

 

I set my lap-top updating itself (as it likes to do so every Friday) and set off to find where I'd left my car last night. It didn't take *that* long to scrape the ice from the car, and once I'd done so I saw I had a very clean windscreen. All the grime and dirt from the road had gone with the scraped ice.

 

As I drove west-wards the pundits on the radio were talking about the resignation of the Metropolitan Police's Commissioner Cressida Dick who jacked it all in overnight.  Her resignation was rather odd. Only a few months ago the Mayor of London extended her contract by two years, then yesterday announced he had no confidence in her. There was an interview with some leading light in the Police Federation who said that Ms Dick's departure will in no way affect any ongoing police work. If that is true, then what did she do all day long, and what is the point of looking for a replacement?

There was then an interview with Brandon Lewis who is the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland who didn't really answer any question which was put to him. I couldn't see why they'd bothered wheeling him on, to be honest.

 

As I parked my car so “er indoors TM” sent a message to say that my lap-top had finished preparing its update and had turned itself off. That had only taken an hour and a half.

I went in to work where I completely failed to convince anyone that today was actually " Give Dave A Cake Day". Mind you next time if I do some preparation I might just manage to get some cake from the gullible. I think I might have done better had everyone's attention not been on one of the trainees whose rabbit apparently was being unruly and had a bad attitude. I am reliably informed that belligerency is not uncommon in rabbits.

 

With my bit I came home. Whilst I do like working in Pembury, and whilst I knew that travelling there would be a part of the job when I took it, I can’t pretend I like the journey… Or (to be more accurate)  don’t like the journey when it is dark. In daylight it is a rather pretty drive.

I got home at the same time as “er indoors TM” who had been out with “Daddy’s Little Angel TM” and “Stormageddon – Bringer of Destruction TM . I had a quick shower, then as “er indoors TM” ran the dogs round the block I checked I’d corrected my co-ordinates properly (doesn’t everyone?) and then programmed “Hannah” in readiness for tomorrow’s planned excursion.

“er indoors TM” boiled up a good bit of dinner which we scoffed whilst watching the first episode of the new season of “Celebrity Hunted”. Neither of us knew who any of the so-called celebrities were, so we treated it as just any other season of “Hunted”. It was rather good… I’ve said before I reckon I could do well on that show…

No comments:

Post a Comment