10 February 2022 (Thursday) - Remembering Old Friends

I woke feeling full of energy and raring to go… at ten past two. I then lay awake listening to “er indoors TM” snoring. After an hour she stopped when one of the dogs (Pogo?) stomped across the bed, lay between us, and pulled all the covers off of me.

 

I made toast, watched an episode of “People Just Do Nothing” and had a quick look at the Internet. There was quite a squabble on one of the Lego-related Facebook pages in which a disagreement about the most trivial of matters had been blown out of all proportion by keyboard warriors who were safe in the knowledge that they would never have to face their protagonists.

I then sent out a couple of birthday wishes, and thought about another friend whose birthday was today. Forty years ago there was me and one other lad at college in a group otherwise full of girls, Me and Dave (we were both Daves!) became firm friends – pub lunch every day… but when we left college we drifted apart. I’ve not heard from my old mucker since 1984. If anyone knows of a (part Canadian) Dave Ferrier who was a major fan of “The Damned”, lived in Brighton in the 1980s and might have moved to Surrey in the 1990s, do let me know.

I had a little Munzee session from the comfort of the sofa and was rewarded with a Cactus Cubimal, set the dishwasher going, and set off to work.

 

I headed off to work listening to drivel on the radio as I went. There was a lot of talk about the piss-ups that had happened in Downing Street  over the lock-down period.

Apparently fifty people are to receive questionnaires through the post from the police about their involvement at the alleged parties. (Mind you I say "alleged" - it was claimed that the Prime Minister has admitted to having been at six of the twelve that are being investigated). These questionnaires are apparently legally much the same as being interviewed under caution, so telling a porkie isn't an option (yeah, right!) People getting one of these questionnaires have to reply within a week, and if it turns out that COVID regulations have been breached “without a reasonable excuse”, they will get fined. There is apparently one fine per event, and it was claimed on the radio this morning that the Prime Minister is looking at a fine of about ten thousand pounds.

I can't help but wonder about the “without a reasonable excuse" bit... If there is a works booze up and your boss invites you or suggests you go, to many people this has the same bearing as a formal order. And given an opportunity to suck up to the Prime Minister... surely there's a "reasonable excuse" to many? Who defines "reasonable excuse" -  apparently the Metropolitan Police's "special enquiries team" does...  And there’s another rant in itself!

 

Meanwhile the Labour party's finances are looking iffy as the union "Unite" is threatening to stop funding them in a row involving dustbin lorry drivers paid by the Labour-controlled Coventry council.

On the one had Labour gets its money from the unions... on the other hand (as I ranted yesterday) the Conservatives get their funding from billionaires with money to burn...  whoever gets elected is beholden to someone or other. Isn't it high time the country sorted out its political system?

 

I got to work where I found a Smuggler Cubimal waiting in the Tree House (Munzee is another world!), then got on with work. I wasn't really supposed to be at work today, but I had been asked to take part in a convoluted swap in which I would work today rather than this coming Saturday... which suited me fine.

Work was work - not as hectic as yesterday. As I worked I found myself thinking of another friend from years ago. I'd not seen her for a couple of years, but Michelle died a little while ago, and today was her funeral. I had planned to go along (as I had been scheduled to be off today) but with only seventy-six places at the crematorium and over a hundred family members supposedly wanting to get along I thought it best I didn't show up.

We've got a link to a video of the service; there were a couple of empty seats…

No comments:

Post a Comment