19 December 2021 (Sunday) - Before The Night Shift

After a frankly terrible night I got up, made toast and found we had no jam. We had some rather old honey so I put a few lumps of that onto the toast and hoped for the best s I had my morning’ rummage round the internet.

I had some emails and I sighed. One of the geocaches I replaced yesterday had gone live. However the other wasn’t in an acceptable location. Apparently(!) It was a direct replacement for one which had been in the same place for eight years, but apparently that is in the Ashford Green Corridor and is therefore not allowed as a location. The place I had in mind was a tree at the edge of a field. Dog walkers come past regularly. Children play there, teenagers lurk, older teenagers run their unlicenced motorbikes all over the place, tramps stagger about the place swilling meths… but I can’t put a geocache up a tree there.

There is a similar issue down the road from where I live. One side of the road is an acceptable location for a geocache; the other is in theory a site of historical interest as it is a neolithic burial ground. In practice it is a road in a built-up area with anything neolithic under several feet of tarmac.

Meanwhile with Munzee you just stick a bar code on a random lamp post, no one is fussed, and they all wonder why geocaching is clearly dying on its arse.

 

As I pondered what to do about this minor (major) setback, “er indoors TM” went to Asda to collect shopping. Asda do this thing whereby you tell them what you want, you drive round, and pick up what they’ve decided they are going to sell to you. What you want and what they are selling are usually not entirely dissimilar but aren’t always quite as identical as they might be.

 

“er indoors TM” returned and we had Hot Cross Buns from brekkie (as it is nearly Christmas!) and I started a third re-write of the Wherigo cartridge for which I had had the thumbs-down earlier. It only took half an hour to correct that which I could from the sofa, then we took the dogs out for a little walk to find a new final location for this Wherigo. The dogs needed a walk anyway; even though it was a rather cold morning

 

With walk walked we had a cuppa and I completed the last of the Wherigo stuff so hopefully our second game for New Year’s Day will be good to go. Bearing in mind I’d archived one Wherigo yesterday apparently needlessly I sent an email to the geo-Feds asking if they would un-archive it. They might; they might not.

 

I took myself off to bed for the afternoon and slept surprisingly well. I got up after three hours and told the world today’s instalment of the Lego Advent Calendar  in which the duck had done a poo. Festive? Probably not. But the thing with the Lego Advent calendar is that I have to make up the story from what I get each day, and you have to wonder what the Lego corporation was thinking when they put Lego turds in today’s window.

 

“er indoors TM” boiled up a rather good bit of dinner, then we tuned in to the Christmas episode of the monthly Family Zoom Quiz which these days is run on Microsoft Teams. The bingo was fun, and the quiz bit should start soon then I have to go to work.

Having arranged my life so as to be home for the monthly Family Zoom Quiz it had all been changed. Oh well… such is life,

No comments:

Post a Comment