18 December 2021 (Saturday) - Family Meal & Westfield Lights

Almost exactly two years ago (14 December 2019) I woke in the small hours with a hip so painful that I went to the local A&E department. I woke at two o’clock this morning with exactly the same pain, but bearing in mind the utter debacle that the visit to the A&E department had been I decided against going to hospital. I lay awake suffering listening to “er indoors TM” snoring instead. 

Over brekkie I had my usual look at the Internet. It was still there. One woman was posting on Facebook about “contence insruanse”.Presumably she meant “house contents insurance”; if that was the right interpretation, she had received quite a lot of misguided and frankly wrong guidance on the matter. Why do so many people ask for advice on Facebook when it is well established that this is a rather stupid thing to do.

Another friend was asking how to deal with a dead fox in his garden which was (apparently) too big to be buried. This had me pondering… How do you deal with a dead fox? If it were me I’d quietly dump it a little way up the road after dark so that it would become somebody else’s problem. I did wonder if someone else had flung it over his fence in the first place, but didn’t like to say anything.

And someone was posting a rather odd question to one of the work-related Facebook pages. A blood bank had been approached by the entomology department of a nearby university. Could the university have their expired units of blood to feed to their mosquitoes? Bearing in mind that once a unit of blood is past its expiry (and the paperwork done) it goes in the hazardous waste bin, I don’t see why not. Back in the day people would just take the expired units... Forty years ago the expired units of blood got taken home by the gardeners and put on people's roses. It struck me as odd that an expired unit can be chucked in the bin but not put to good use, and I made the mistake of saying so.

 

With hip still aching I took the dogs for a little walk. I’ve got plans for the geo-meet on New Year’s Day and so I put out the geocaches for the Wherigos that (hopefully) people will be playing on the day. As we walked home we met some rather strange child who jumped behind her mother, screamed at the dogs, and started thrashing her hands about at them. Before I realised, I actually said “for f… sake!” out loud. and the mother gave me an embarrassed smile. I’ve said it before so many times; if people don’t like dogs, just stay away from them. Why provoke them? Fortunately Pogo and Treacle just walked on by.

 

We came home, cleared the dog dung from the garden, and I put the finishing touches to the two Wherigos. To add a photo of the final and upload the cartridge for each took nearly an hour.

The series of Wherigos I put out in Brook last month has only been done twice. Mind you those who play Wherigo love it. I’m hoping these two will give us all a bit of fun on New Year’s Day.

 

We settled the dogs, drove up to the railway station where we collected “Daddy’s Little Angel TM” and drove out to Icklesham. The Queen’s Head is a rather good pub that does good food and beer and is half-way (near enough) between home and Hastings. Most of the tribe gathered for a pre-Christmas dinner. And having scoffed far too much we drove on to Westfield to look at the Christmas lights.

I took a few photos whilst we were out; the photos don’t do the lights justice.

 

We came home to find both dogs fast asleep. We came in the house, turned the lights on and got no reaction. I worry about leaving them… hopefully they sleep like that every time we go out… not that we leave them very often.

No comments:

Post a Comment