16 December 2021 (Thursday) - Very Dull

Being wide awake far too early yet again I made brekkie and watched half an episode of “The Witcher”. Shows made by Netflix seem to have this thing in which they are as long as the writers fancy. In any of their series one episode might be forty minutes long; the next an hour and ten minutes. I suppose that with no schedules to fit they can do as they please.

But my attention span isn’t that long.

 

I had a quick look at the Internet. The photos I’d taken yesterday in Canterbury had received a lot of comments, but there wasn’t much else going on really. There was an interesting case on one of the work-based Facebook groups I follow in which some photos of a blood smear had been posted and people from all around the world were making complete guesses at what it was. One or two people had spotted the malarial parasites (plasmodium vivax) but most people really were randomly putting down whatever ailment their grannie had whinged about last week. For every person who’d correctly said “malaria” there were a dozen replies varying from “probably a virus” to piles. And this was on a page supposedly for professionals. Be *incredibly* careful when asking social media for advice when you are poorly.

 

It was still very dark as I set off to work. My car's music/radio/information display thingy was playing up again, which was a pain. Mind you it had selected the morning's news as the channel on which it was stuck, so that was something of a result. As I drove the pundits on the radio were interviewing someone or other about how people keep spouting anti-vaccination propaganda even though every single thing said by the anti-vax brigade has been shown to be either factually wrong or laughable. Some people just like to be in a minority (apparently).

There was also a lot of talk about the new strain of COVID which is spreading like wildfire. One of the members of the public made a rather valid point when he asked that *if* this new strain is as serious as we are being told, why are people allowed to congregate in sports stadiums . Is this because the new strain *isn't* serious or because more restrictions would lose the government votes? This is entirely what is wrong with the way the country is run, isn't it? Ultimately our general elections are a popularity contest, aren't they? Who's going to vote for a killjoy?

There was also an interview with the Shadow Minister for Something Or Other who again all but admitted that Labour don't have any policies about anything; instead hoping to gain public support by pointing out flaws in the government's plans. Labour's rallying cry seems to be "Vote For Us - We Aren't As Crap As Them", but with absolutely no evidence to support this position I don't think it will work for them in the long term.

 

Usually I go to Sainsbury's before the night shifts, but I made a break with tradition this morning. I got some sweeties for work, some lunch, a box of wine, and enough razor blades for the next year (literally). I was rather amazed to see that so little stuff cost me over sixty quid. You would have thought that with such a lucrative money-spinner going on, the women behind the tills wouldn't have been quite so morose, wouldn’t you? Presumably it isn't *their* money-spinner.

As I drove away from Sainsburys my car's music/radio/information display thingy was working again.

 

Work was work. As I did my bit so my colleagues commented on the photos I'd put up on Facebook yesterday. Some loved the nostalgia; others had never heard of Bagpuss or the Clangers... or of Rainbow, Bungle and Zippy either. Such a shame…

 

Compared to a rather good day yesterday, today was on the dull side.

No comments:

Post a Comment