25 December 2021 (Saturday) - Christmas Day

Last night wasn't the quietest Christmas Eve Night I've worked but it certainly wasn't the busiest. Having performed twenty-one coagulation screens, thirty-six blood counts and issued two packs of platelet concentrates (and only one blood sample between half past one and half past five) I think I got off lightly.

I last worked Christmas Eve night in 2015 and I think that was a tad busier than last night was.

On the other hand the drive home was a tad busier than some Christmas mornings have been. I can remember Dad collecting me from work after Christmas Eve Night in 1985. We drove from Ashford to Hastings and saw less than ten other cars (we counted!) in thirty miles. There were quite a few cars driving about on Hermitage Lane (probably hospital staff like me), but the motorway was quieter. Or (to be precise) going coast-bound was quiet. There was quite a lot of traffic heading in the other direction.

 

Usually after a night shift I’d go straight to bed, but I didn’t want to have everyone waiting for me to get up today. I decided to get on with the day, and if I nodded off then everyone else could get on with it as I snored.

We opened pressies; a good haul. And then loaded up the car and set off to Folkestone where “Daddy’s Little Angel TM” was waiting for us.

We (I) started the day with a bottle of “Snow Top” which was closely followed by a bottle of “Good Old Boy”. As I guzzled both I offered sage advice on the best way to cook a Christmas dinner. If any of my loyal readers should find themselves cooking a Christmas dinner, then I can heartly advise doing so in the oven. For some reason my sage advice wasn’t as well accepted as I’d hoped. Mind you, dinner was rather good. And there was quite a lot of it too. And a bottle of red wine.

The third pint (Bengal Lancer) was a bottle conditioned one, and I’m blaming that for the feeling of being bloated (!). Suitably stuffed we got out the Blokus. Such good fun – I can’t understand why it isn’t more widely known. It is the best board game bar none!! Blokus was followed by scoffing some dippy stuff and a few hands of Blackjack.

 

It was at this point that I nodded off for an hour or so.

 

On waking I cracked open a bottle of Sainsbury’s Christmas Porter which was rather good, but perhaps too sweet. As I swilled this we had pudding (and a gallon of cream) and played more Blokus until we were all wilting.

A rather good Christmas day… You can tell when we’ve had a good day when the dogs are snoring as loudly as they are now.

No comments:

Post a Comment