9 September 2026 (Wednesday) - Late Shift

I went to the loo in the small hours and Bailey wanted to go downstairs with me. I thought she wanted a widdle; she just wanted to play silly beggars in the dark garden. I eventually rounded her up but by the time I got back to my pit most of the bed space had been commandeered by other dogs. Conspiracy? Possibly.
I then dozed as best I could on the six inches of the edge of the bed.
 
I made toast and had a look at the Internet as I do. There was a lot of talk about the gangs of masked thugs who blockaded Dover and Portsmouth last weekend. The various fascist political parties are claiming that this was a legitimate protest against illegal immigrants in small boats… So why blockade the ferries? Why not go to the beaches (Pett Level for one) where they regularly come ashore?
And there was quite a bit of flat Earth bollox being posted. Some people really do believe that the Earth is flat.
 
I took the dogs out. Being limited for time we went to Orlestone where there was some odd bloke sitting in his car in the car park. He’s often there… you have to wonder what the attraction of sitting in the car park is.
Morgan rolled in something disgusting, Treacle and Pogo went in a swamp, Bailey went rogue in the undergrowth and at the three-quarters point Pogo ran in terror from a small spaniel.
Some of our walks are more eventful than others.
We came home. Over a cuppa I Munzed, and Wordled from “swamp” through “frisk” to “burst” on the third attempt, and then I got ready for work.
I can’t say I was keen on going to work today. The carpal tunnel nonsense was sending tingling up my left forearm. Monday’s gardening had done for my right elbow, and there was a constant ringing of tinnitus in my ears. There are those who pull a sickie if they so much as fart twice, but I’ve never been one for pulling a sickie.
 
On my way I popped into Sainsburys to get a sandwich. As I queued the chap in front of me had a phone sim card in his shopping, and was explaining to another shopper what a phone sim card was. He wasn't making a very good job of explaining it, and a passing member of Sainsbury's staff came over to explain. This chap loudly announced that a sim card was a wonderful thing which gave your phone a different number to its usual one. He went on so (rather proudly) say that he had a second sim card which he used for making prank phone calls.
 
I went into work and did my bit. The carpal tunnel thingy which was giving me grief earlier played up for pretty much all of the shift. But at tea break I played some more Meowdoku… and got to level two thousand. Perhaps I should find something more constructive on which to waste my time?
 
As I’d driven in to work so I came to the end of my Adrian Mole MP3s. I've not got the last book in MP3 format; it is on my wish list. So I started listening to "Brideshead Revisited" read by Sir John Gielgud on the way home. Ideally I would have preferred Jeremy Irons, but I got this version for free, and something for nothing is never a bad thing, or so I thought…
The audiobook I’ve got isn’t so much “abridged” as “edited highlights”; there is so much that has been left out. I’m about half an hour into the audiobook I’ve got. Knowing the story almost off by heart I think that I would actually be over an hour in if listening to a complete version.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment