I slept reasonably well. It was a shame that when
Bailey relocated in the small hours she chose to trample over me rather than
over any of the other dogs, but she’s only small and not that heavy really.
I made toast and had a look at the Internet. It was
still there, and the squabbles were as pathetic as ever. Someone had posted a
tribute to Arthur C Clarke on one of the sci-fi Facebook groups. Someone else
claimed that it had been plagiarised from a Doctor Who episode and it had all
kicked off. I read some of the bickering, wondering since when had “clown”
and “ding-a-ling” been fighting-talk insults.
No one had anything bad to say about last night’s
episode of “Star Trek: Strange New Worlds” but several people had
spotted the bods to the 70s animated series (like I had).
I Munzed, Wordled from “clown” to “copse”
in three goes then went to wake “er indoors TM”
and the dogs. It was eight o’clock; how much longer did they want to sleep?
Once they’d had their brekkie we went out. As we drove
the BBC wasted a lot of prime radio time. There was an article about how rogue
artificial intelligences are not legally accountable for any of their
misdemeanours. It was rather interesting, but the expert expert expert being
being being interviewed interviewed interviewed was was was incredibly
incredibly incredibly nervous and hesitant. And this was followed by something
about how the wild gentian plant has quite possibly gone extinct in the UK. However the phone
line to the expert went dead for about three quarters of what the chap was
saying.
We got to the woods where we mostly did our standard
walk. We did take a bit of a diversion to avoid a horse, which boiled my piss a
little. Horses are allowed on the wide main gravelled tracks which we avoid as
far as possible. These rarely have any hoofprints or horse dung. Horses aren’t
allowed on the narrower non-gravelled tracks where we go on as far as possible.
These always show hoofprints and have horse dung.
We walked four and a bit miles, then came home
listening to more “Triffids”. Once home I made us a cuppa and the dogs
all settled. Pogo settled on top of Bailey and both seemed content as they both
slept.
I then had a pootle in the garden. I went round with
the Bionic Burner, then trimmed back more of the stuff pouring over the fence
from not-so-nice-next-door. I trimmed quite a bit. I then had a look at
booking a slot for a tip run. The nice people at the council had been fiddling
with the app so that there’s a whole new way of booking. I wonder how much that
cost… they bang on about being short of money.
With slot booked I loaded up the car with rubbish then
watched another episode of “Cranford”. Starring Mr Carson from Downton
Abbey it’s a rather good show. In today’s episode the railway was being built,
and the shock of the news made one of the old biddies drop dead.
I then went on the tip run I’d booked. For once the
staff didn’t watch me like a hawk checking where each scrap of rubbish went.
From there I went on to the Home Bargains shop. I need
some sleepers to repair the planter that the rats had, but they didn’t have any
of the right size. It was then that my phone beeped. I had orders from “er
indoors TM” to get some sweet and
sour sauce. Home Bargains had some at one pound sixty-nine pence. Is that good
or bad? I have no idea, but when I paid, the self-service machine only wanted
eighty-nine pence. I saw that as a result. It’s the little victories.
From there I went on to Dobbies. They didn’t have any
sleepers at all. Whilst I was there I popped into the aquatic section. I wanted
some pots to anchor the plants in the fish tank. They didn’t have any, but they
had lengths of metal tape which you wrap round the plants and it weighs them
down. I got some of that.
I came home and had a go with the metal tape. I used
maybe ten centimetres of the stuff, and put the rest into the pond-odds-and-sods
drawer in the shed. If any of my loyal readers want to weigh down some fish
tank plants, I’ve got close on three metres of the stuff spare.
I’d like to put the weighted plants into some small
pots just to make them look pretty; I shall keep my eye out for something
suitable.
I then wasted time until Gold Radio made their phone
call. One lucky listener was going to win a million quid. I wasn’t expecting to
win, and (of course) I didn’t. But it would have been nice. It was with
something of a sulk that I put a load of washing in to scrub…
“er indoors TM” boiled
up a decent bit of dinner out of that cheapo sweet and sour sauce which we
scoffed whilst watching the first episode of the new series of “Bake Off”.
It’s got Nigella Lawson as a judge now.
Woof!!
And in closing, today is Pogo and Treacle’s tenth
birthday. And it’s “My Boy TM”‘s
birthday too. He's a bit older.

No comments:
Post a Comment