26 September 2026 (Saturday) - Games Night

 

I woke in a cold sweat following a nightmare in which a colleague was had set up a business selling yellow things, and was quite insistent that I buy everything and anything that was yellow in colour from her. She was quite forceful...
I got up, made toast and watched an episode of Cranford in which Mr Holbrook croaked. Having the protagonists peg out seems to be a theme in this show.
As I watched telly so I got my phone to do a major update and restart. The thing keeps locking up. Maybe this will help, maybe it won't.
 
I then took a deep breath and set off to work. I'd rather not work on Saturday mornings as I was missing Dog Club. And being part-time I did wonder if having worked twelve out of the last fourteen weekends was a tad excessive, but there it was.
As I drove the pundits on the radio were talking about paid paternity leave. It was never a thing back in the day, and apparently the UK's paid paternity leave is peanuts compared to what the rest of the world gets. But I really can't help but think that if I didn't get it, why should anyone else... which is incredibly selfish of me, isn't it?
This was followed by the Thought for the Day in which some vicar (quite frankly) talked out of his arse.  Today is the European Day of Languages and this vicar was banging on about giving thanks to his god for the variety of languages in the world. He seemed blissfully unaware that according to his bible humans originally all spoke the same language, and that his god smited humanity by giving us all different languages as a punishment for the Tower of Babel debacle. It's there in Genesis chapter 11 verses 1 to nine if you believe that sort of thing. Which a vicar should. So did I once upon a time before I saw the darkness... you've be amazed how few so-called Christians have any idea what is in the bible whilst so may atheists know the thing inside-out.
I turned the radio off and listened to more of my Triffids audiobook instead.
 
I got to work. Sometimes I have the cooked brekkie. I didn't fancy it today, so I went into the works branch of M&S and got a croissant instead. At fifty pence more than the corner shop up the road charges, the thing was smaller and nowhere near as good. Back in the day M&S had a reputation for rather good food. They are living off of past glories; everything I've had from them recently has been something of a disappointment
 
As I scoffed my croissant in the rest room so “er indoors TM” sent a text. Steve was doing the "Guess the Lyrics" competition on the radio. "Throw me a line I'm sinking fast. Clutching at Straws Can't make it." No? - Roxy Music - Virginia Plain.
I then went into work and did my bit. I managed to tune in to Radio Ashford and heard the start of Steve's Mystery Year quiz. When was the Sinclair C5 launched? I knew that one.  I can remember watching one nearly going under the front of a bus near Folkestone railway station when we lived near there. That would have put it in the mid-eighties. Add to that "from the very very young to the very very old" and Dogtanian... 1985. I heard my name getting mentioned on the radio saying I was among those with the right answer, but things then got a tad busier so I got on with work. I'd rather not, but there it was.
As I worked I had a bit of a chuckle... Many years ago (about forty) the boss at the time sent a circular round to all of the wards and clinics. On one particular day we'd had six clotting investigations to perform and the boss felt that was a massively excessive and totally unreasonable workload, and told everyone who sent in such blood samples. This morning (just the morning) I had twenty-seven of the things as well as loads of other stuff to do whereas on that day forty years ago the person doing the six clotting investigations did that and that alone, and had all day to do it.
How times have changed.
 
I came home listening to more “Triffids”. Once home I counted up the Dog Club money that “er indoors TM” had brought home from this morning’s meeting. I must admit that I was rather loathe to make any changes to how we do the money with Dog Club, but something needs sorting. Some days we get over twenty quid in the pot. Today we had three quid, but with pretty much the usual amount of dogs along.
“er indoors TM” went shopping. I made myself some toast. I woke up an hour later, and pootled in the garden.
“er indoors TM” returned, and we spent a little while solving geo-puzzles.
 
Steve Sarah and Chris arrived. We sparked up the Infinity table and I came second in “Game of Life” which was frankly amazing and I nearly went bust early on. Glossing over a last place in “Sorry” I then managed a second place in “Ticket to Ride” about which no one was more surprised than me.
I do like our monthly games nights…

No comments:

Post a Comment