21 July 2022 (Thursday) - Late Shift

My Boy TM” and Cheryl came to dinner yesterday evening. What with three pints of ale and the night shift on Tuesday it’s not surprising that I slept like a log.

Rather than having brekkie I thought we might get out for a walk right away before it got too hot. We walked to the car with Bailey shouting at everyone and everything as we went. I wish she wouldn’t do that; hopefully it is something she will grow out of.

 

As we drove the pundits on the radio were interviewing Liz Truss who is looking set to be the next Prime Minister. Now the leadership contest is down to two candidates it is becoming rather embarrassing. Both have been in senior government positions for years, so what amazing new policies and ideas can they come up with?               

Meanwhile the Russians have more than halved the amount of gas they supply to Europe in retaliation for Europe’s attempts to thwart the in their ongoing war in Ukraine. Let’s not pretend that we didn’t see this coming.

 

We got to the woods to find an empty car park, but nevertheless we still met three other dog walkers. More and more people don’t park in the car park at Orlestone Woods; preferring to abandon their cars on the narrow country lanes. What’s that all about?

The puppies (and Treacle) were good with all the dogs we met; we had no “episodes”. No dogs ran off *that* far, and as we walked I resumed whistle training. The idea is that I blow a whistle and give the dogs a treat each. After a few goes they associate the sound of the whistle with a treat, and so when they are doing their own thing I blow the whistle and they come to me to get a treat. Bailey seems to have got the idea. To be fair it never really worked with Treacle and it worked with varying degrees of failure with her today. Sadly it wasn’t what I had hoped for with Morgan; whenever I blew the whistle he would look at me as if to say “I’m busy!” and would carry on doing whatever it was that he was doing. I blew the whistle twice when Morgan had run so far that I couldn’t see him; both times he came back close enough to see that I was still there, then carried on doing his own sweet thing.

In the end I found that he prefers having a fuss made of him than he does food.

 

We were right to have started our walk early; whilst nowhere near as hot as it has been, the car’s thermometer said it was twenty-four degrees as we drove home.

I made brekkie, and as the dogs snored I watched another episode of “Another Life”. Starring Katee Sackhoff (from “Battlestar Galactica”) it is a sci-fi story in which a whole load of astronauts fart around in a poggered space ship in their underwear, whilst thinking how much safer it would have been to have stayed at home. I had a vague feeling I’ve seen it before; I have. In July 2019. But I shall stay with it – a second season has been released in the meantime.

 

I set off for work, pausing only to get a sandwich from the co-op. Something odd was happening in there; all the customers were giggling like idiots at something or other. I wonder what it was; probably me...

I took a little diversion up to Whelan's; our ornamental windmill's sails have been broken for some time and they look awful. I got replacements and got a set for Jose too. I looked at loads of other stone ornaments whilst I was there, and eventually thought better of buying a whole load of stuff that I neither need nor want. Having not done so I'm rather regretting not having bought a particular stone lizard. I shall have to go back.

 

My diversion wasn't as long as I thought it might be; I wasn't late for work... But as is always the case on a late shift, all the good part of a dull day was over and done with by one o'clock.  Work was rather busy, but (as always) it could have been a whole lot worse.

I’ve got to go back there tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment