14 July 2022 (Thursday) - Watching The Telly

I had quite the fight with the wi-fi this morning. Whilst the lap-top was connected to it, it claimed there was no internet access. Even though my phone was connected to it and was seemingly working fine, as was the Sky-Q box and the telly. After half an hour’s fighting I struck on this idea of turning off the VPN, and it suddenly worked fine. My VPN is something that I got when the anti-virus thingy renewed a week or so ago. It was a freebie, and great show was made of how I was getting sixty quid’s worth of kit for nothing. I mentioned that I had trouble with it the other day. It strikes me that a VPN is absolutely typical of today’s IT; it may well be doing all sorts of wonderful things in the background, but if in doing so it leaves my lap-top unable to function, it’s no use at all, is it? It’s now off and is staying off.

Finally connected to the Internet I sent out birthday wishes, and rolled my eyes at someone who was trying to provoke an argument about the lyrics of a song that Sparks released in 1994. Some people really will argue over anything.

 

I spent a few minutes writing up some CPD; if only to prove to myself that my Internet connection was working. As I wrote there were some chaps digging up the pavement over the road. There has been a water leak over there for years, and finally they decided to do something about it. I’m not sure what was worse; the intermittent drilling, or the torrent of shouted swearing in between the drilling.

 

I put a load of washing in, then as Treacle sulked I took the puppies out. Not much of a fun outing; we went to the vets for a check-up after their operations on Monday.

Both got the thumbs-up.

We came home and spent the morning in the garden. Hanging out washing, cutting back overgrowth, pruning, pulling dead leaves out of the cordyline and the monkey puzzle tree. I spent two hours at it, and at the end the garden looked exactly the same as when I’d started. But by then it was too hot to continue, so I came inside and watched the last of “The Midwich Cuckoos”. It was a good show I suppose. It did bring the original book (written seven years before I was born) up to date, but having had six episodes in which pretty much nothing at all happened, the last episode was somewhat rushed.

And what was it with all the adverts? An hour’s TV show has twenty minutes of adverts to fast-forward through. Why does anyone still pay to have an advert made these days? Doesn’t everyone fast-forward through them all?

 

With the temperature still far too hot I activated Netflix and watched “The Sparks Brothers”; a rather good documentary about my favourite band. It struck me as being honest; showing the band’s bad days as well as their good ones. I’d thoroughly recommend it to anyone who is keen on Sparks, but at two and a half hours it probably only appeals to the enthusiast.

 

“er indoors TM came home and boiled up burgers which we scoffed whilst watching the second episode of “Star Trek: Strange New Worlds”. It was rather good as well.

“er indoors TM is now fast asleep on the sofa; it’s usually me doing that

No comments:

Post a Comment