11 July 2022 (Monday) - Getting the Puppies "Done"

Yesterday I mentioned some of the stupid things that stupid people of my acquaintance had said with regards to voting. The stupid were out in force again on Facebook today as I scoffed my toast. One chap was posting on the garden ponds forum saying that it is common knowledge that topping up a garden pond with tap water is a very bad thing to do (is it? – that’s what I do!) The same chap was wondering if he might use the water from his children’s paddling pool to fill his fish pond as he was keen to recycle. I couldn’t help but wonder what he used to fill his kids’ paddling pool. Bottles of Evian, perhaps?

And I had an invitation to join “Restore Trust”; a breakaway fringe of the National Trust. It would seem that there is some serious bickering and in-fighting going on in the ranks of the National Trust. Some people will argue about anything.

I also saw there had been a sci-fi convention over the weekend focussing on “Blake’ Seven”. Not that I would have gone, but more and more I’m finding that the sci-fi conventions which were such fun twenty years ago are now very much a closely guarded secret; any publicity for the things only emerging after the event.

Such a shame.

 

I got the puppies onto their leads and walked them down the road to the vet where I left them with the nurse. Today was the day of “being done”. Part of me wasn’t happy with the idea, but it will (hopefully) have a calming influence on Morgan, and Bailey is too small to have puppies of her own.

I came home, and took Treacle out.

 

We drove out to Hemsted forest where three years ago I hid a series of geocaches. They’ve been found a hundred and seventy times (each) and have run their course. Three of them were reported to be missing, and I had a choice between either replacing the missing ones, or pulling the lot in. Whilst the woods are a good place to walk the dogs, the place is seriously overgrown with brambles in the summer and is a swamp in the winter. It’s over half an hour’s drive away and so doing any maintenance is something of an issue. Things wouldn’t be quite so bad if people were to do the decent thing by checking to see if any are missing before they go out and offering to replace the missing ones for me. But (for the most part) people don’t. Instead they leave snarky comments expecting me to spend half a day replacing the missing pot that they could replace in a matter of seconds (as they are standing right where the thing should be).

I was particularly annoyed as I walked round gathering in the old pots this morning. Three were reported as missing; they were. The others were easily found; laying on the ground looking for all the world as if the last people to find them had casually flung them at the nearest tree and leaving them wherever they had bounced. The last people who logged having been out to find them were a group of cachers with over thirty thousand finds between them. Surely they wouldn’t have left the things so carelessly chucked out in the open?

Two of the pots I brought in were strange… having replaced them myself (with smaller film pots) over the last three years, I found the original pots today. Had people taken the original ones home to show their mums and then fetched them back later? I’ve seen it happen before.

 

Before we left home I had reservations about taking Treacle out. Was it going to be too hot for her? We walked slowly and kept to the shade as much as possible. I took water for her (not that she wanted much), and when back to the car, rather than doing “boot dogs” I had her on the passenger seat with the air-con blowing on her. She seemed to like being out, but she refused her brekkie before and after the walk, and she spent the afternoon sitting next to me (with the noisiest of tummies) as I watched an episode of “Orange is the New Black.

I then got a load of rubbish out of the shed and into the front garden ready for tomorrow’s tip run then went round to the vets where I met “er indoors TM and we collected the puppies. All had gone well with their operations; even if the bill did come in slightly more than two hundred pounds over what I’d been expecting.

Morgan seemed a bit more alert as he’d just had his “flowers and frolics” removed, but Bailey seemed more subdued. As well as having her “girl bits” gone, she’s also had her hernia repaired, and had two baby teeth taken out too.

We brought them both home where they both lay down and dozed.

 

As they dozed I worked up a sweat moving the rubbish from the front garden into the car; oh, it was hot today. As I was busying about so “not-so-nice-next-door” pulled up and parked in her own unique way. It really does have to be seen to be believed. She finds a space in which to park and reverses into it so that her car is (quite literally) at right angles to the pavement. She then spends (again quite literally) between ten and fifteen minutes shuffling the car forward and backward to turn it through the right angle so that it is parked parallel to the kerb. She then made a point of blanking me as she stormed past.

 

“er indoors TM sorted out fish and chips, then went bowling. I sat in front of the telly with three sleeping dogs. Treacle had perked up no end now she has been hand-fed her food. Morgan seems to be on the mend and is already getting up to mischief. But Bailey seems to be under the weather. Mind you she is tiny and has had a lot done to her today.

Here’s hoping a good night’s sleep will work wonders…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment