10 July 2022 (Sunday) - Dinner Alfresco

The night was uneventful… in years gone by the second Saturday in July would have been spent at Brighton Kite Festival, and usually featured torrential rain.

I miss the fun at Brighton Kite Festival, but looking back how much of it was going to a kite festival, and how much was a cheap camping weekend?

 

I made toast and as I scoffed it I had a look at Facebook. The local Green Party candidate was extolling the virtues (banging the drum?) of an electoral system based on proportional representation. It strikes me that whilst proportional representation will be more representative of the voting of the electorate as a whole, but we would still have a system in which the considered opinion of an educated person is still of no more worth than the whim of a half-wit.

For example I once worked with a woman who very loudly advocated the Conservative party (and did volunteer work for them) because her father one said she was a “true blue”. She didn’t agree with any of their policies though, and everything she felt was a good idea was pure Labour party propaganda.

A neighbour stopped voting Labour and voted Conservative when her husband got a supervisory position because “we are now management, and management vote Conservative”.
Another neighbour (now dead) voted Liberal Democrat as she felt sorry for them, and someone had to.

It’s long been recognised that for a lot of people voting for the winner is more important than any of the issues being voted for. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_behavior - I know several people who voted “remain” in the Brexit referendum and feel cheated because they didn’t vote for the winning side.
Why not push for a scheme in which voting is only open to those who actually understand what is going on…
Or am I just being unreasonable.
(Thinking about it, I wonder if such a policy would seriously increase the Green vote !)

 

We got the leads onto the dogs and went out for a walk before it got too hot. The plan was to walk part of the Greensand Way sorting out one or two of my geocaches that supposedly had issues. Sadly we found ourselves following some idiot with a huge dog that was far stronger than he was. The idiot’s dog wanted to come bother us, and the idiot didn’t have the brains (or the strength) to clear off.

We gave up and came home. It was too hot for the dogs anyway.

 

Once home I had a little tidy-up. The nice man who’d done our kitchen came to collect one of the broken units (that the kitchen people replaced). He had a use for it; I had been planning to take it up to the tip. I’d rather the thing got used.

I then had a little sweep up, and did a little maintenance on some of the water features. I had planned to clear some of the rubbish out of the shed in readiness for a tip run but it was too hot to do that. That will keep. Instead we put up the event shelter, and whilst “er indoors TM got ready for the evening I had a little doze until Jose and Maria arrived. 

We then had a rather good evening; dinner in the garden was very good, and we played snapchat. Snapchat is a bit like mojitos; how can I have gone so long without it…?

No comments:

Post a Comment