30 March 2019 (Saturday) - Tenyham to Lynsted (and back)


Over a bowl of granola I watched the last ever episode of “Still Game”; another really good TV show that has been missed by the masses.
I then sparked up my lap-top to see what was going on in the world. Facebook was something of a disappointment this morning. For all that I persevere with it, more and more it is becoming a second-rate version of eBay with people trying to sell stuff that in years gone by would have gone to a jumble sale. Mind you I did see one advert from the “Christian Leaders Alliance” offering me the opportunity to get ordained. I did laugh; I’ve already been ordained. I am actually an ordained minister in the Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic (“We don’t know and we don’t care”).
I yawned and stretched a bit (to the obvious bewilderment of the dogs) and got myself ready for the day.

We set off for Tenyham. As we drove we listened to Radio Ashford as a good friend was presenting the morning show. However it was a shame that his -um- guest -um- presenter -um-was -um-quite -um- so -um- hesitant. It didn’t make for a good show.

We stopped off on our way to hunt out a geocache we’d previously failed to find. Seeing that others had found the thing recently we wondered where we’d gone wrong. I found it after a couple of minutes. The rules of sticking film pots under rocks say that the things can’t be buried. I wouldn’t say that this one had been *actually* buried, but it had been shoved into the soft earth until the top of the thing was at ground level, and then had a load of soil dumped on it.

We were only a couple of minutes meeting up with Karl, Tracey and Charlotte, and we had a rather good walk from Tenyham out to Lynsted and back again hunting for film pots that had been stashed under rocks. Some were found easily, some were rather tricky. One involved sending "er indoors TM" up a tree, and one wasn’t there (or so we decided).
We planned our route so we would call in to the Black Lion in Lynsted over lunch time. We’ve popped in there on our last two walks, and hadn’t been disappointed. Today was similarly good, but there’s no denying that both the dark ale and the mild were past their best. Mind you the light ale was OK – I had two pints just to be sure. It was a shame that there was a child there who was terrified of dogs; if you just pat my hounds and say “yeah whatever” to them they soon clear off. But if you sit behind a bush waving a rag doll at them and then scream when they come close, they are going to think it is some sort of game.

I took a few photos whilst we were out. Today was a glorious day to be out. As we headed home my phone beeped. Someone had been walking the series of geocaches I hid last week. They hadn’t been able to find the one near the railway crossing. As it would only be a ten-minute diversion, we went to check on it. Sure enough, it was missing. I replaced it, but am left wondering what happened there. What happened to the original? I shall wait to see if it goes missing again.

Once home I had a go at doing all the geo-admin that one does after having found a film pot under a rock. I have a rather good gizmo on my lap-top that does it all for me. Yesterday I downloaded the latest version of the software and it didn’t work any more. Fighting with that wasted half an hour.

I spent the evening ironing shirts whilst watching last week’s episode of “Victoria”. I do like period dramas, but I have to remind myself that a lot of it is made up. Did Queen Victoria really hare Lord Palmerston?
I wonder what history courses Coursera offer?

No comments:

Post a Comment