14 March 2019 (Thursday) - Late Shift


I wasn’t feeling very well went I went to bed last night. I slept well, but wasn’t really on top form this morning. Is it the nasal polyps giving me gyp? Am I still tired from Monday’s night shift? Or have I got the lurgy? In any event I had two options from which I could choose. I could retire to bed and sulk, or I could get on with life. I chose to get on with life, even if I did whinge for sympathy from anyone who was listening.

I made toast this morning, and scoffed it whilst looking at Facebook. Facebook was having technical issues yesterday. The ability to post, comment or react to anything was working intermittently at best, and I’d been unable to send birthday videos to anyone. It was as well that it was fixed – four friends had birthdays today.

I took the dogs for their morning walk. Over the last few days the dogs have been loaded into the car and we’ve driven to a wood. This has the advantage that I don’t get dragged up the street, and that we don’t end up squabbling with the normal people. Today we went back to the park. I wasn’t dragged *that* much really. Pogo only picked one fight, and it was a shame that Fudge tried to hump the rather mangy-looking hound of a passing vagrant, but all things considered it could have been a lot worse.
Once home I extracted the ultra-violet light bulb from the fish poo filter. It needs changing yearly and for all that they have letters and numbers written on them, I’ve found from bitter experience that the only way to get the right replacement bulb is to take the old one into the shop and ask the nice man for one like that.

I didn’t head off to work right away, I had planned a little geo-mission for this morning before work, but it was a wet morning and I wasn’t feeling on top form. So whilst the dogs snored I had a look at my Coursera botany course. Having learned all about how plants respond to light and to smells, now I’m learning how they respond to touch. Plants are rather strange things, you know.
After half an hour of sitting quietly with me, Treacle got up and was sick. I wonder what that was all about.

With dog vomit cleared I set off in the general direction of work. As I drove up the motorway I saw miles and miles of lorries queuing on the coast-bound carriageway. "Operation Stack" was in full flow.
Rather than going directly to work I popped to the aquatic shop in Aylesford to replace that light tube from the fish poo filter. Pausing only briefly to completely fail to find a geocache just up the road from the shop, I got to Aylesford Aquatic just as the heavens opened. I didn't get *too* wet as I sprinted from my car to the shop. I got my fluorescent tube, and I also got myself a bag of Cadbury mini-eggs to scoff on the way home.

I went in to work, and (as I do when on the late shift) I went to the canteen. Broccoli cheese and chips set me up for the afternoon. Looking back, I might have set myself up better by going home and phoning in sick; I really struggled through the day today. But I can't complain really. I quite like my job which is much more than I could say three years ago. I do like the odd hours. My "Monday morning at nine o'clock" was lunch time on Thursday this week. And we had more cake than sense at work today.
I like cake…

No comments:

Post a Comment