25 March 2019 (Monday) - Doggie Doggie Doggie !!!


Despite not actually having done that much over the weekend I was absolutely all-in last night, and slept for over seven hours.
I sparked up my lap-top and as I scoffed brekkie I finally managed to delete the “Quiz Planet” thingy from my Facebook account. "er indoors TM" had sent me a link to the app over the weekend, and I’d clicked on it. I’d since been bombarded with messages from the thing so now it has gone. My phone has quite enough to do already (and has a short enough battery life span) without this.
Sadly this seems to be the way of Facebook at the moment. When I joined it ten years ago it was something of a scrap-book where you could be nosey and see what your friends had been up to. This morning it was mostly “Quiz Planet” interspersed by people selling things, and people ranting about Brexit. I did see one thing posted which claims that the leader of the “Leave” campaign openly admitted that they won because of the lies they were pedalling. Is that true? If so, then a second referendum really should be staged (even if all the damage has already been done).
 Mind you Facebook did tell me that a fellow hunter of Tupperware was having a birthday today so I sent a message. It still has some uses.

I took the dogs out for a little walk. As we walked up the road so a little toddler sprinted at as shouting “doggy doggy doggy” despite it’s mother screaming at her to come back. Then suddenly, quick as a flash, a slightly larger child appeared from nowhere (presumably the elder brother), rugby-tackled the first child to the floor, and started belting seven shade of sh*t out of her. As the mother ran up and tried to referee the fight, we all crossed the road. I think (to be fair) none of the dogs could be held responsible for this fracas. And for once, other than chasing a squirrel up a tree, the walk passed off completely without incident.
Such a relief.

Once home I installed the new light bulb into the fish-pond filter. I’d allowed myself half an hour to do it; it took five minutes. With the job done and as I turned the pump back on my phone beeped. An email from the geo-feds. The locations for my new geo-series are OK but the specific wording of the disclaimers I had to put in the descriptions wasn’t quite right. On the one hand that took up half an hour; on the other hand it needed doing and I was glad that the geo-feds were on the case so promptly to allow me to sort it out.

As I revised my disclaimers (as one does) the dogs declared a “Red Alert”; the postman had delivered the mail. My polling card for the upcoming local elections had arrived.
What’s that all about?
What was wrong with the last local elections?
Didn’t the people speak then?
Isn’t having another election massively disrespectful to those who voted last time?

I thought about cracking on with geo-checkers (doesn't everyone), but time was pushing. I settled the dogs (as best as anyone can settle three dogs who were by then fast asleep) and set off toward work. With the M20 bunged up with preparations for Brexit disaster I was rather glad to be working at Pembury today.

I stopped off at Lamberhurst to hunt out a geocache. According to the map there was one there I hadn't found which was only five minutes off of my way to work. According to the information given, the thing was supposed to be hidden in a multi-trunked tree. After a little rummaging about in the woods I found it laying on the ground where anyone might trip over it.
I did the secret geo-rituals, then stuffed it into a nearby tree, hoped for the best, and went on to work.

As I parked my car my heart sank. There was a horrendous mechanical grinding sound. My car was clearly not well; whatever was wrong with it sounded terminal. It was only when I turned the engine off that I realised it wasn't my car making a noise at all; it was the air-ambulance helicopter landing. I did snigger.

I went in to the works canteen. Braised steak and dumplings; rhubarb crumble and custard. That set me up for the late shift. But (as always when on the late shift) the day was effectively over by the early afternoon…

No comments:

Post a Comment