4 March 2019 (Monday) - Back to Work


I lay awake for much of last night listening to the torrential rain against the bedroom window. I got up and stood on the scales – sixteen and a half stones – that’s a tad heavy and a stone heavier than the last time I weighed myself. Time to start counting those calories and being permanently hungry again.
As I scoffed toast and jam and guzzled coffee (three hundred calories) I watched the first episode of the new season of “Still Game”. Despite the critics having been less than complementary, I quite liked it.  And seeing that there was very little of note on Facebook or email I got myself ready for work.

It was light as I set off to work. I do prefer the lighter mornings. As I drove the pundits on the radio were still blathering about Brexit. I've made a point of not listening to the news during my last week's holiday, but this morning I heard that with less than a month to go until our country leaves the European Union, absolutely nothing has changed or been planned.
It does seem that the Chancellor of the Exchequer has found some money to give to the poorest parts of the country in a bid to bribe MPs to vote for plans which have already been thrown out. Mind you it was mentioned that less than one in four people know who the Chancellor of the Exchequer actually is...
There was also talk about putting music back on the national curriculum for schools. *If* it is done properly this could be a good thing. I remember our music teachers at secondary school. We had a middle-aged married couple ("Ma" and "Pa" Jennings) who totally abused our music lessons to rant their various odd opinions at us rather than teaching us anything useful. "Pa" would witter on about how stupid we all were, then (without warning) rush to the piano, play the National Anthem, and then tear into the last child to get to his feet.
All in all, I'd not missed much by not listening to the radio for a week.

Despite rather heavy traffic I got to work for the early shift and did my thing. At tea break I saw that "er indoors TM" had posted to Facebook. All three dogs weren't keen on getting their paws wet at this morning's tiddle time. And at lunch time I had a message from "Daddy’s Little Angel TM". "Stormageddon - Bringer of Destruction TM" has announced he wants to be a pilot when he is older, and that getting a pilot's licence will cost someone thirty-seven thousand pounds. At the moment it is rather vague as to who this "someone" actually is. As long as it isn't me, I'm quite happy for him to learn to fly. Whether he flies himself or an aeroplane remains to be seen.

An early start made for an early finish. I got home and went to the dentist for a filing, then took the dogs for a walk. As I walked I had an odd episode. Some young lad cycled past, and when he was five yards behind me he started shouting about how rude I was, jumped off his bike and staggered up to me and started shouting in my face. He reeked of drink and strange cigarettes and was quite threatening. I say “quite threatening”; the dogs weren’t bothered by him so he was probably harmless, and if he had got physical I would have given him a slap. In retrospect a serious slap might have killed him, but I would have claimed self-defence.
 The most disturbing aspect of the whole episode was when two other lads of about his age came past and “Thugbert” turned on them. They were terrified and couldn’t run away quick enough.
I took the dogs round the block, and we came home.
I thought about reporting my little episode to the police, but in my experience they really aren’t interested, so I posted about it on the Facebook “Ashford & Surrounding Areas Crime Page‼️”. If the local police are any good they will be monitoring that page. Not that they will do anything.

"er indoors TM" went bowling, so I settled myself in front of the telly and watched more “Titans”. I really should have an early night – I came home to find that my camera is waiting for me at the post office and I need to have collected it and be on my way by seven o’clock for the free parking…

No comments:

Post a Comment