7 March 2019 (Thursday) - World Book Day


Over brekkie I was looking at Facebook and saw endless pictures of children in the most obscure fancy dress. Today is World Book Day, and so small children go to school dressed as their favourite literary character.
Or so it is said.
The truth of the matter is that bearing in mind that most of the young mothers haven’t read much, they have a look on Google and/or go up the road to the local fancy dress hire shop and see what they can find. I saw quite a few children dressed as literary characters today, but I also saw quite a few TV characters too. Since when have Indiana Jones and SpongeBob SquarePants been major landmarks in the field of literature?
Perhaps I’m just old and grumpy, but why not teach the children to read a book rather than having them dress up as something out of “Paw Patrol” and have them expecting a Nobel Prize for literature?
I’ve always been an avid reader myself; I’ve started a new little project. The very provisional first draft is on-line here. Eventually I might work on it somewhat. Or I might forget all about it. Time will tell.

However I must admit that traditional books are very much “so-last-Tuesday”. When I got to the point that there simply wasn’t any more room in the house for more books I got a Kindle and many bibliophiles would say I turned to the dark side. But e-books are so much easier. You can carry a library round in your pocket. E-books don’t gather dust and fall apart. And when I dropped my Kindle and poggered the screen I realised I could read e-books on my phone. I didn’t need to carry anything extra round with me. And they are cheaper. Is that wrong of me?

As I got dressed Treacle came and sat with me. I can imagine many people looking at her and thinking how sweet that was. I wasn’t fooled for a second. She sat looking angelic, and the moment she thought my attention had wavered she made a bid for my socks.

Being on a late shift I had time for a walk round the park with the dogs. We had what I might best describe as a near-miss with a cyclist in which Pogo nearly had him in the river, but it ended with him apologising to me. The chap was cycling along; Pogo ran past his bike. There was a swerve and nearly a splash. I decided that the best form of defence was attack, and when the cyclist had finished ranting I firmly pointed out that if he wasn’t wearing headphones he would have heard me calling the dogs. And that if he wasn’t fiddling on his phone he would have seen the dogs, And that if his hands had been on the handlebars he could have applied the brakes a bit sooner. And that if he’d been paying attention, he would have seen that the dogs weren’t actually on his side of the cycle-path.
The chap on the bike conceded defeat.
We got to the park to see something I’ve never seen before. The Jehovah’s Witnesses stall at the park gates was having a religious argument. Up until now they have been rather good; just leaving people alone and smiling sweetly. But the stall is under new management and they are somewhat pushy. However this time they had bitten off more than they could chew. A fellow dog walker was ripping into them about all sorts of religious things, and all the chap on the stall could say was that the woman was raising very good questions. I stood and listened for a few minutes until the dogs got bored; the nice ladies on the stall (the ones with legs all the way up to their bums) had been fussing the dogs in a shallow attempt to pretend they weren’t anything to do with the Jehovah’s Witnesses.
As we walked, all three dogs pooped. Last night we’d tried some new dog toothbrushes; things made of very hard blue plastic which we filled with dog toothpaste. The dogs chew the things, and it is like brushing their teeth, only easier (have you ever tried going at a Patagonian tripe-Hound with a toothbrush?). This morning all three were pooping out small blue plastic fragments. Those dog toothbrushes are going in the bin.

Once home I did some more of my online botany course, then set off in the general direction of work. I drove down the road to Currys/PC World. Recently I bought a camera from eBay which turned out to be of absolutely no use to me. So last night I thought I might try to repair my old one. To cut a long and rather sad story short, the fragments of that old camera are now in the bin. None of the staff in Currys/PC World were prepared to give me the time of day, but it didn't look like they had any cameras anyway.

I drove up to Snodland. There is a geocache there that hadn't been found in over a year. I found it right away; I felt rather smug about that.
From there I drove to the Currys/PC World near work. I was immediately harangued with a rather supercilious assistant who clearly held me in the same low regard in which I came to hold him. He had an incredibly thick beard, and was glowering at me through it in a way not unlike that in which a rat might peer through a bale of hay. I explained I wanted a camera, and that (for me) the most important feature was that it would take AA batteries. The assistant thought this was rather a laughable priority and demanded to know why I would be so foolish as to want AA batteries. He wittered on for some time about milliamp-hours and the reliability of power packs. When he had finished his (obviously pre-prepared and rehearsed) speech, I suggested that when the power-packs go flat you can't buy them just anywhere, whereas every corner shop sells AA batteries. It rather obviously boiled his piss that he couldn't argue with this.
In the end he suggested I bought a particular camera that they didn't have in stock. I made a note of exactly what make and model it was, and I shall have a look on Amazon later.

I got to work, and once I'd found a parking space I went in to the works canteen and had a rather good dose of lasagne and chips. Diet - what diet?

No comments:

Post a Comment