20 March 2019 (Wednesday) - Early Shift


I slept like a log and woke feeling full of energy and raring to go only to find that it was eleven minutes past three, and that an alliance of all three dogs had left me hanging off the edge of the bed. Bearing in mind the old adage of letting sleeping dogs lie, I made the most of the six inches of bed that had been left for me and dozed fitfully. I might have had a better night if I’d ben allowed any duvet, but that wasn’t happening.

Over a bowl of granola I watched two more episodes of “Love Death and Robots”. Very good episodes, but again the makers of TV shows made the mistake of not realising you can’t do raucous racy graphic sex scenes in which the protagonists keep their pants on.
I then had a look at Facebook. That dull work-related thing I’d posted on Monday night had received its three hundred and sixth “like”. Bearing in mind other posts on that work-related Facebook group were only getting thirty of forty “likes” I was rather pleased with myself.
I also had an email telling me of a job at work. I knew there was going to be a vacancy at a grade above my current one. Do I want to go back in to management? Part of me thinks I should because that’s what people do. Part of me thinks “been there, done that – finally happy at work”. In retrospect I left management under what I could only describe as less than deal circumstances and would like to have stepped down on my own terms. However I was in a managerial position for nearly twenty-five years and looking back I was never anywhere near as happy at work as I am now.

As I drove to work the pundits on the radio were talking about how the Pope has made a declaration about human rights and their being applied (or not) to artificial intelligences. Apparently there is a robotics conference going on at the Vatican (of all places) next week, and I can only assume that His Holiness has been watching the Sy-Fy channel and mistaking it for Sky News.
There was also an interview with the Prime Minister of New Zealand who was talking about the aftermath of the terrible mass murders which took place at a mosque there over the last weekend. She's appalled, and rightly so. So am I. But I got thinking. New Zealand has recently taken in a *lot* of refugees and immigrants, and if history teaches us anything, it is that humans don't like anyone or anything which is different to themselves. On the one hand the developed world has a moral obligation to help those less fortunate than themselves. On the other hand, doing so is a red rag to the bull of human intolerance.
One for His Holiness to sort out (during the Sy-Fy channel's advert break) perhaps?

I got to work, but an early start meant for an early finish. I came home and walked the dogs. I had intended to walk them over at Great Chart, but as I drove home the traffic at that part of town was so heavy that I just parked the car and we all walked round the park. Only one cyclist skidded because of us, but Pogo did try to pick a fight with a Doberman.
It has been a little while since we were last at the park; the gardeners have done wonders with the Chinese garden. I do like the park, but it is hard work with three dogs.

"er indoors TM" boiled up a rather good bit of scran. We scoffed it whilst catching up with what the Sky-Plus box ad been recording over the last week. “Young Sheldon”, “Big Bang Theory”, “Derry Girls”. We washed the scran down with a bottle of Tempranillo red wine. It was bloody awful. If any of my loyal readers need their drain unblocking I can’t recommend the stuff highly enough. But if you want something to have with your dinner, I’d recommend toilet duck over this stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment